Solo Diving: It's time to set the record straight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adventure dude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Solo Diving and Solo Diving Certification: It’s Time to Set the Record Straight

There’s so much hype, debate and misinformation about solo diving and solo diving certification that its time to set the record straight. And for one, I’m tired of hearing all the cr@p and whining from both sides – people that whine because they have to dive with a buddy and dive operators and divemasters that won’t let properly trained solo divers do their thing. Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, read this entire article because enclosed is a real solution that works for everyone involved in this debate. Everybody can win. Read on about solo diving and solo diving certification. When you are done, please leave your comments and insights.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Link has been fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

There’s so much hype, debate and misinformation about solo diving and solo diving certification that its time to set the record straight. And for one, I’m tired of hearing all the cr@p and whining from both sides – people that whine because they have to dive with a buddy and dive operators and divemasters that won’t let properly trained solo divers do their thing. Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, read this entire article because enclosed is a real solution that works for everyone involved in this debate. Everybody can win. Read on about solo diving and solo diving certification. When you are done, please leave your comments and insights.

Here's what I think...the link doesn't work (you've got one too many http://'s)

Last edited:
Doesn't work for me either. However, I really don't care what others think about how I dive (although I hope I am open to constructive comments)... and I try to reciprocate (unless they are total disasters).

I was able to modify the url and find the page. If you want to make your point you really need to edit your post and fix the link.

Hmmm ... OK, since you solicited it, I'll give you my comments and insights.

I don't think it's a very good article.

First off, there are MANY reasons why people might want to solo dive that have nothing to do with the quality of a potential dive buddy. Sure, buddies can assist you with all the things mentioned in the second paragraph of the article ... but if you're having those types of difficulties, you probably shouldn't be considering solo diving in the first place.

"Inconvenient" should never be a reason to make any dive planning decision ... solo or otherwise. The mental process that goes into your dive plan needs to be a bit more pragmatic than that, and include an honest assessment of the risks involved.

Then there's the assumption that dive photography and buddy diving are mutually incompatible. They're not at all ... you just have to know how to do it, and have a buddy who is willing to be a part of a team, rather than another diver in your general vicinity at the same time. I routinely engage in underwater photography ... as do many of my diving friends. Sometimes we go alone, and other times we go as buddies ... it depends on the dive profile and the reasons why we're going. It doesn't take much effort, really, to learn how to be both an underwater photographer and a responsible buddy ... it only takes a commitment to learn and a bit of self-discipline.

Finally, the article reads like a commercial for an SDI Solo class. The fact is that most solo divers are self-taught, and while a solo class might be helpful to a relatively new diver who wants to try solo diving, it is probably not going to provide the experienced diver with much in the way of useful information.

The answer to the solo diving debate isn't to get another C-card ... it's to make sure that you have honestly evaluated the risks associated with solo diving, have taken steps to mitigate those risks, and have the skills and mental discipline needed to self-rescue should you find yourself in an unanticipated bad situation.

Perhaps in some parts of the world a dive charter would not allow someone to solo dive without the SDI card ... but most solo divers are independent-minded enough to prefer avoiding operators who put those kinds of restrictions on their clients.

It's a mindset thing ... which is, in fact, what solo diving really boils down to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The answer to the solo diving debate isn't to get another C-card ... it's to make sure that you have honestly evaluated the risks associated with solo diving, have taken steps to mitigate those risks, and have the skills and mental discipline needed to self-rescue should you find yourself in an unanticipated bad situation.

It's a mindset thing ... which is, in fact, what solo diving really boils down to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:thumb: :thumb:

Great post as always Bob.

Solo for me has nothing to do with buddies (or lack thereof).

Sometimes I just enjoy soloing, just like somtimes I enjoy going for a jog or hike by myself.

My start in solo diving pre-dated all solo courses, and in fact pre-dates almost every advanced certification course offered today.

I'm still uncertain whether a solo course is even a good idea.... but that is another topic.

Best wishes.

Edit: Fixed the OP's link: http://www.live-adventurously.com/s...ation-it’s-time-to-set-the-record-straight-2/

I really don't personally agree with much in the article either; the statements are way too broad and absolutely don't apply to the reasons (and methods) of my solo diving.

Having been a solo diver for some time, the only reason I can see for a Solo Diving C-card is to keep lawyers away from dive operators that let you dive solo. And a big THANK YOU to those operators that still think a diver should plan their own dive.

Although I am a strong proponent of self-sustained diving, and expect every diver to dive within their limits for the given situation/environment/equipment, I acknowledge that many will not do a good job of this.

Let's face it, if a diver dies the odds of his/her family suing that operation are going to be pretty high if the family aren't divers, and still an odds-on favorite if they are.

At least with some sort of C-card to reference the operation is going to have some sort of defense against the near-certain (at least here in the U.S.) lawsuit that will follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article completely misses the point of solo diving, at least for me.

I thought it was crap. And who certified solo diver #1? I don't think a course can turn you into a solo diver.

No such card is needed in S. Florida. Most all charters splash a float ball carrying DM and could care less what you do underwater provided you ascent on time & carry a sizable SMB and don't stray too far east or west of our usually south/north oriented current...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom