Solo Diving Forum is now open!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmud

Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives.
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello to all who may be viewing the Solo diving forum on Scuba Board for the first time.

Disclaimer: this forum and thread are not for discussions on the efficacy of Solo Diving, it is for discussions about gear, techniques, and training for solo diving and for reporting on experiences while solo diving (according to NetDoc--I hope I paraphrased the rules correctly).

I became a solo diver not by choice, but by circumstance. I was a newly minted OW diver and found that my permanent buddy was an SOB diver (she is my wife, and she is a dedicated "Same-Ocean-Buddy").

After becoming a newly minted AOW diver, I was diving without my wife and was paired with an insta-buddy. He noticed my Octo was free flowing--we were at about 60 fsw. We banged-it, we turned it upside down, and then I switched my primary with my Octo thinking that I could breath off the free flowing air and save air. No! My primary second stage was also free flowing. My insta-buddy checked my SPG and then told me to go to the boat (with hand signals), and then he split!! I made it back to the boat with no-problem with lots of Nitrox left.

But, I was solo diving again and not by choice! And, literally with a first stage that was cracking into two pieces (no joke).

I was a professional mariner--to survive on the ocean a person must have redundancy and self-reliant skills. Why wasn't I self-reliant?

I learned and survived. I became self-reliant and after completing 100 logged dives I successfully completed a Solo diver cert course. Now I am self-reliant and Solo certified.

Here are some URLs for Solo training. SDI has their solo course listed on their website. The PADI course is hard to find. Here they are:

https://www.tdisdi.com/sdi/get-certified/Solo-Diver-Course/

PADI Self-Reliant Diver Specialty Course | Red Hook Dive Center

Solo diving is now officially out-of-the-closet as NetDoc has opened this forum!

Learn about the responsibilities and gear required to solo dive, get trained, and join us!

The pool is open...:D

markm
Proud Solo Diver!

Last edited:
The "rules" are right at the top of the page and are simple. There is no need to "paraphrase" them.

You have entered the Solo Divers forum.

This forum is intended to discuss the limits, skills and techniques related to solo diving and not to debate its relative merits. This is a "No Troll Zone" and offenders will be blocked from participating in the forum.

The "rules" are right at the top of the page and are simple. There is no need to "paraphrase" them.

You have entered the Solo Divers forum.

This forum is intended to discuss the limits, skills and techniques related to solo diving and not to debate its relative merits. This is a "No Troll Zone" and offenders will be blocked from participating in the forum.

Thanks for your input Hawkwood!

Oh well, there goes the neighborhood. I guess I will have to find some other rebellious SCUBA related cause to champion :). Solo is just so mainstream.

N

Don't worry Nemrod, there will be the DSR (Doing Solo Right) crowd to tell you that you don't know nothing and that you have to solo THEIR way with their configuration of redundant gear.

Is it open or is it like the DIR forum, open to read but requiring membership to post? The latter seems more sensible, but I suppose it doesn't matter much either way.

Is it open or is it like the DIR forum, open to read but requiring membership to post? The latter seems more sensible, but I suppose it doesn't matter much either way.

Hi Dr. Lecter,

I believe, according to what I have read, the forum is just open. No posting or viewing restrictions, except for the rule listed on thread #1 by NetDoc.

I have been wrong before, and I will stop being wrong when I take the eternal dirt nap.

markm

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 05:36 PM ----------

Oh well, there goes the neighborhood. I guess I will have to find some other rebellious SCUBA related cause to champion :). Solo is just so mainstream.

N

Hey Nemrod,

Don't worry, there are many dive boats and dive shops where you will still be treated like an infidel, like a pariah, like pond scum.

There will be plenty more incidents where an instructor will blurt-out that heart-stopping phrase when you ask for a pony fill: "Ugghh, DEATH-IN-A-CAN!" "You know, we can teach you to curb your appetite for excessive amounts of breathing gas."

PADI-files and deeply religious divers (the religion of Diving Orthodoxy) will always be around.

Happy hunting!

markm

Last edited:
Don't worry Nemrod, there will be the DSR (Doing Solo Right) crowd to tell you that you don't know nothing and that you have to solo THEIR way with their configuration of redundant gear.

Well, maybe there is some hope. Nothing sadder than being a rebel with no cause :wink:.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom