Solo course option near Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc

Just drifting along...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live and dive in Jamaica and I am interested in doing a Solo diving course in the near future. None is available here, so I am wondering what would be my options since it would I would have to take some vacation time and travel to get it done.

Hi @Fastmarc ,

we offer the PADI Self Reliant diver course. And we’re in Grand Cayman, less than an hour direct flight from Jamaica (jet services from Kingston and Montego Bay).
Although solo diving is prohibited in the Cayman Island, we teach the course to make divers less reliant on a buddy. The course also prepares you for solo diving where local regulations allow.

Send us an e-mail at info@divetech.com and we’re happy to discuss options.

Menno

I am certainly a proponent of divers reading more, and using other available resources, to gain knowledge and become better divers. Nor do I believe that PADI, SSI or who-ever is the final authority of diver training. Becoming a better diver is in my view a combination of taking training, building experience, and seeking knowledge from other divers and means available.

However, when it comes to any form of dive training that introduces the diver to new fields of knowledge (I'm not a self reliant instructor or diver, but I believe it sort of leans towards basic tech levels including use of redundant equipment, SAC, dive planning etc) I certainly recommend seeking a good instructor.
I know when I did my tech courses I learned more from my instructor's experience, and the various discussions I had in the class, than from just reading the book.

Secondly, of course local regulations and shop policies differ, but I think you make your own life easier having some kind of solo diving cert to show when you want to dive somewhere. Especially in a more 'tourist' dive destination, where due to the lower average skill levels of divers shops tend/need to be on the cautious side of things, and also being in the Caribbean with a lot of visitors from a country with a litigious culture.

I'd also check your insurances (travel/health/dive) for their coverage in case of solo diving, if some level of formal training or certification is required for coverage.

Last comment, please note this in the PADI manual provided in the link.
3KJycTb.png

3KJycTb

Therefore I don't think it is correct to share this manual in this way, without (presumably) permission or payment, and outside an official training.

Again, I'm not at all against divers educating themselves, neither am I a PADI 'fanboy' or of the business model of training agencies in general, but I feel the matter is slightly more nuanced than as per the previous poster.

self reliant is not a solo course or is excepted as one by most dive operators . as I teach both (up to solo instructor )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom