Solid fins vs flexible fins and air usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I started diving (10 years ago) I purchased solid (ie. no flexible rubber sections in it) fins. I was in the dive shop a few days ago and was looking at all of the modern fins with flexible rubber sections in the middle and all sorts of advertised advanced channels.

Is it worth upgrading? Do people see decreased air consumption by switching to more modern fins?

There isn't good data available to back up those marketing claims. Personally, I've experienced the opposite using floppy new gimmicky fins it's more effort to travel the same distance/speed.

Regards,
Cameron

Conservation of Energy. You can't get more work (energy) out of something than you put in.

I think some people have the idea that once the fin is "pushed over" by the effort of the kick, it will "push back" and get you going further. But you can't get more work out of it than you put into it.

BTW, why are we trying to go further or faster? I forgot....I guess I was distracted by all the interesting things to look at....

- Bill

@billt4sf I think it's more the ability to go the same speed with less effort vs. going faster

@Kohanbash if you want to lower your air consumption, switch to a frog kick instead of a flutter kick. You will engage smaller muscle groups during the kick cycle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom