Sola Dive 1200 vs 800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bokito

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A question for the more experienced divers amongst you;

Are the Light & Motion Sola Dive 1200 extra lumens in comparison to the Sola Dive 800 (in wide angle only) worth the extra cost? The difference is quite significant (U$400 vs U$300)

My main diving takes place in clear warm water but I'd like it to be a "future-proof" purchase.

Last edited:
It's 50% more lumens for 33% more cost.
Wide-angle is usually not a very useful dive light....narrow angle allows brighter, and signaling your buddy, and pointing at things.

I would definitely go for the 1200. Even in spot mode, I find the 1200's light output to just be OK. My $50 backup light is a little better. On the other hand, my $50 light does not have a flood mode, which can be handy for night dives or you can even use the flood for some gopro video. The ergonomics of the Sola are also better than just about anything I've tried.

Good point.

The light in the flood mode (60°) of the Sola Dive 1200 is brighter (1200/600/300 lumens vs 800/400/200 lumens) and runs as long as the Sola Dive 800.

The brightness of the two lights in spot mode (12°) is equal (both 500/250/125 lm) but runs longer (110/220/440 minutes vs 70/140/280 minutes).

The 1200 charger is 2 vs 1 Amp but the charging times are equal.

[edit after fact-checking the manual]

Last edited:
The extra lumens in flood mode is not really brighter than spot mode. Even though you have more light, it's spread over a larger area, so it really doesn't seem brighter, it just illuminates more area. I use my 1200 on every dive and that means mostly in the daytime. In many cases, I find the spot mode to be merely "adequate" on high. Of course if you do find it to be too bright, you can always switch down to medium or low. Personally, I wish I had gotten the S/F 2500. But I wasn't willing to make the jump from $400 to $700.

OP, you're more likely to find the 1200 more suitable in more situations than the 800. But it sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into the 800. Fine, go for it. My guess is you will ultimately wish you had not tried to hard to save $100.

The 800 and 1200 use the exact same charger. The 1200 has a bigger battery, but it draws more juice, so it's about the same in the end.

We have a close out on the Sola 800 Photo for only $219, plus mount, so that's $180 difference!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom