Sola 2000 mounted on 3/4" loc-line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snootleather

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I am going to DIY tray and arms for my GP2. Does anyone have an ingenious way to mount 3/4" loc-line to a sola light? Other than buying Light & Motion Video LocLine Mount & D-Ring Combo Kit. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

if I could make my own light, I wouldn't buy that either :)

You actually could :)

But now to give some ideas, you can try with the flat surface mount for the 3/4" loc-line ( http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-34-System/34-connectors/Loc-Line-60533 ) and a metal pipe clamp screwed to it.

It seems (looking at pictures) the mount has the same dimensions as a flash shoe. You could get one of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cold-Foot-t...619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6781bc4b) and screw to the loc-line cap and secure the whole thing with another screw?

Or, if there is a 1/4" socket at the bottom of the light, screw it directly into the loc-line flat mount using one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/iShoot-1-4-...7?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_210&hash=item3cc383d2a1

Tie the light to the tray, please!

Sola have a 1/2" locline mount you can buy a reducer from 3/4 to 1/2
In any case 3/4 is really stiff so you can:
1. Do half in 3/4 and half in 1/2 (I have used this and it is ok)
2. Do all in 1/2 which in water is preferred less to to handle outside
You can see the rig on my blog in the about page, it is base on Ultralight Handles, a locline base 3/4 and 3/4 segments with a reducer
Cost is less than $30 each

As Interceptor mentioned, reducer.

I did the locline 3/4" for main grips, and reduced it down to 1/2" via the adapter at the light end.

Some of the new Sola lights come with a 10-32? brass female threaded insert into the light can/body. If you want to DIY with a stainless allen head and stainless washer inside the last loc line segment go for it. But I like the 3/4" locline for the rigidity, and I'll buy ready made good equipment instead of gadgeteer mode when it is holding onto my SOLA lights.

that D-ring is also handy, of you want to put your SOLA on a retractor reel, if not used as a dive light.

look close and you can see my reducers and d-rings behind the lights. Count my arm links, I like wide light spread for wide angle shooting, you can always bring them in......

Backscatter housing, home made dual tray combining 2 single trays. And always put a coil leash on your gear.

P10100251353795693.jpg

Back
Top Bottom