Sogod or PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwpw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thanks to the excellent responses I received to my Flight strategies post I am planning our 2nd trip to the area~!!
I was planning g on going back to PG but the threads on Sogod bay have me thinking about going there.
how do the 2 places compare diving wise?
Thank you
Paul

I think the diving in Sogod Bay is better, and most others agree with me. PG has more dive sites because a lot of former dive sites in Sogod aren't visited now, due to a crown of thorns starfish infestation some years ago. So, for a solid week of diving in Sogod Bay, expect to see some sites more than once. But Sogod has some lovely reefs (I think my favorite is called Napantau) with loads of healthy corals, lots of frogfish, more ornate ghost pipefish than you'll probably see in PG, and other interesting marine life. Also, Sogod has a few great muck diving sites, whereas PG's muck (if I recall correctly) is really just the area near the boatyard. In Sogod there's Malitbog Lembeh, with blue ring octopuses and flamboyant cuttlefish and Coleman's shrimp on fire urchins and ghost pipefish and lots of other macro and muck critters, including occasional mimic octopuses. There's another muck site across the bay (I forget the name) which has much darker sand/silt and is great for hairy frogfish as well as other critters.

Whale sharks may swim past in season, and you can also go out by boat to where they usually hang out and snorkel with them.

PG has a lot better variety of restaurants, and Sogod Bay has very little nightlife. Sogod offers just a small, quiet town, whereas PG is something of a minor tourist Mecca.

PG is also much easier to get to. Sogod Bay is rather far from anything. But my buddies and I liked Sogod Bay enough to go there two years in a row. Can't say that for PG.

Thank you for responding
Were do you stay when your there

We stayed at Peter's in Sogod Bay.

One of my buddies had previously stayed at the other of the two most popular dive centers -- Sogod Bay Dive Resort, or something similarly named -- and said the two are more or less equivalent in most respects.

Thanks to the excellent responses I received to my Flight strategies post I am planning our 2nd trip to the area~!!
I was planning g on going back to PG but the threads on Sogod bay have me thinking about going there.
how do the 2 places compare diving wise?
Thank you
Paul
Diving wise?
Sogod is the clear winner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom