Software for picture gallery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've used several different methods of posting pictures online and I am not particularly satisfied with any of them -- and want your help.

What I want is software that I can run either on my laptop or on the website (don't care which really) which will allow me to put together nice slide shows but not using Flash (I want to be able to link to individual images from the slide show).

I've used Facebook but I really want the images to be on MY website.

I've used individual pages -- Cenote Jailhouse

I've used a program provided by my host (but I don't like it because it is, among other things, REALLY slow) -- [ur]http://www.tsandm.com/gallery[/url]

I've used Jalbum, which is almost good, but my wife doesn't like because she finds it hard to link to pictures -- and it takes people away from the site -- Red Sea on the M V Tala

Any suggestions for a simple, inexpensive (free is good but inexpensive works), "gallery" software?

Thanks.

Picasa does that - it's free. Picasa 3: Free download from Google

Here's an example of a gallery running on my broadband provider's webspace - Steve's Turned Wood Collection / May 2010
I could have a domain name also but this is just for friends.

Each larger image can be linked to by opening it , right-clicking "Copy Image Location" and pasting it here or anyone else. I don't believe any copyright protection is possible - i.e. anyone can copy your image. That's why photo galleries use Flash, it makes it harder.

Picasa uses the Lightbox script and generates CSS stylesheets and all needed directories for each slide show on your computer.

Then you ftp the contents of the directory structure to your webspace. I use ExtraFTP for that - it's also free.

Picasa generates an index.html file which is the gallery code, a thumbnail directory and an images directory. So you'll want to rename index.html to something else before you upload and link to it on your main webpage. There's 6 different gallery styles you can select during the process detailed below.

What I did was import all my images into Picasa - select the ones I wanted and put them in a new directory. Then right-click on the directory name in the listing to the left and pick Export as HTML - follow the prompts and it will create all the needed files.

This is not the Picasa Web Album option also in the program - that is hosted on their site.

Divers -- very pretty bowls! This might be the answer. I've used Picasa but not this part of it.

Oh, my goodness, that is BEAUTIFUL woodwork! One of my secret (or not so secret) things on my wishlist is to own some gorgeous bowls like those. I always drool over them in galleries. (I know this isn't on topic; sorry!)

Have a look at ProShow Gold - don't know if it is quite what you are looking for, but it has several output formats. I am currently using ProShow Producer for presentations etc. Had a few more features than the Gold edition.

Back
Top Bottom