Soft Weight Belt - 40 LBS.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquageek

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a soft sided weight belt that will hold 40 pounds on my 37" waist. I've got a 7mm farmer john that adds a lot of bouyancy. Any suggestions? :06:

Thanks.

Aquageek - have you considered the possibility that at 40 lbs of weight, you may in fact be horribly overweighted?

I don't know you, never met you, blah blah blah, but:

I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs. With a 7mm, 2mm shorty underneath and wearing an aluminum tank I only wear 30 lbs. And with time, I brought that down, to about 22 lbs.

I don't know your dive history, so let me just relay a few points that helped me...

a) Cross your ankles as you descend. You're probably finning without realizing it, which is pushing you up in the water.

b) exhale ALL the way. You have an air supply, you don't need to take a breath before ducking underwater.

c) make sure ALL the air is out of your BC. Suck it out of your inflator hose if you have to a few times, just to see what I mean.

d) a slow descent to start with is normal. If you drop like a rock after doing this, you can still drop a few pounds.

Like I said, I don't know you, but I can only think of a few reasons why someone would need 40 lbs, and in most of those cases, I would think it would preclude them from diving anyway.

Good luck.

First, read what Boogie said. Then, if you do indeed need that much weight, look at the DUI weight harness. I believe that will hold 40 lbs, and is better than a weight belt as the weight is carried by your shoulders and not your waist.

MD

Thanks for the input. I think the problem is the henderson gold core 2 piece. I have a difficult time getting water into it. Unzipping the top and flooding the suit is difficult. I noticed that the first time that I used it, my trunks were still partially dry. The back area also seems to be an issue.

I'll second MechDivers suggestion. If you really need 40 lbs of weight you will be miserable carrying it around on your waist. The DUI Weight and Trim 2 is rated up to 40 lbs. I bought one earlier this year when I started diving dry and it has made all the difference in the world.

26lbs around my waist was a PITA, I don't even want to think about 40. I bought mine on ebay for <$80 from dolphin scuba.

aquageek:
Thanks for the input. I think the problem is the henderson gold core 2 piece. I have a difficult time getting water into it. Unzipping the top and flooding the suit is difficult. I noticed that the first time that I used it, my trunks were still partially dry. The back area also seems to be an issue.

Not getting water in a wetsuit is a good thing. The water doesn't keep you warm, contrary to what many believe. The neoprene keeps you warm. Any air will be forced out from under the suit as soon as you get any depth.

And yes, a two piece puts a lot of rubber over your torso.

MD

I would have to agree with the posts that suggested you might be overweighted. I'm 6' and weigh 185. I dive with a two piece 1/4 " Henderson farmer john wet suit. With either a steel 72 or 80 and have 16lb. in my bc. 20 if I use an aluminum 80.
montyb

I'd echo the questions on total weight. But you can buy ten-pound belt weights. I have two, in plain uncoated lead. I use one on a belt when I'm diving drysuited, as a way of keeping some weight on me (in the small of my back) should I need to remove my BC.

Each of those puppies takes up just over six inches on the belt.

My husband has a 7-mil john/jacket and uses 28-34 lbs (he may be dropping some of that as he takes PADI's peak performance buoyancy.) He has problems getting under the water in the first place, then either hugging the bottom or drifting to the surface. Once he has been on the surface, he has an even worse time getting back down.

He uses two 8 pound hard weights on a regular belt, 4-5 lbs in each integrated weight pocket, and two 4 pound hard weights in the back non-release pockets. The good news is that if he needs to he can drop part of his weight, rather than all of it at one time. The bad news is that carrying all that weight, plus the equipment, is a mess.

And this is in fresh water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom