Soft plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leiri

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with a soft backplate vs. stainless steel? I'm growing weary of traveling with such a heavy system, and I'm considering putting together a second one just for traveling. I find this appealing since it's so much lighter (and more packable) than an aluminum plate, but I'm wondering how it compares from a performance perspective since it isn't rigid.
180088185_10159781515098352_5414742765579486408_n.jpg

Seems like an interesting idea, I'd also like to hear from anyone who's tried it.

Get a hydros Pro and strip off the weight pockets and use the travel harness. I use compression straps and can get the taco with reg set down to 20" long x 8" diameter. BC alone weighs in at just over 7 lbs.

I use the Apeks soft plate for warm water travel diving. Its prefect. I'm wearing in the profile picture but that doesn't help, its a tiny picture.

it's about 4lbs lighter than a steel plate and maybe a pound lighter than aluminum. Packable sure, but it also takes a bit longer to dry.

They work well though, no issues from a diving perspective, just have to add that much more lead

I found that the tank rolls on my back when using a steel tank, so I retired my APEX soft plate. Have not noticed it with AL tanks, so it must be the weight. Quite annoying, so I flipped back to an AL plate when I know I will be diving steel tanks.

That's disappointing, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I tried a handful of plastic plates out a couple years ago and found that they work but don't really buy you any significant travel weight savings.

I dive a Zeagle Express Tech with a soft plate. It's a fiber plate with a stitched cloth covering (no padding) so it dries as fast as a metal plate. It has two cam bands and uses the tank for extra rigidity. I use a "saddle strap" for a crotch strap and when I snug it up it really molds nicely to my body. It works great for dive travel. It does "turtle" a bit with steels, but nothing dramatic and I don't use many steels when traveling (don't need the extra gas for the rec diving I do, but that's just me...:)).

they work ok, although less support than aluminum or lightweight cutout SS

I dive a Zeagle Express Tech with a soft plate. It's a fiber plate with a stitched cloth covering (no padding) so it dries as fast as a metal plate. It has two cam bands and uses the tank for extra rigidity. I use a "saddle strap" for a crotch strap and when I snug it up it really molds nicely to my body. It works great for dive travel. It does "turtle" a bit with steels, but nothing dramatic and I don't use many steels when traveling (don't need the extra gas for the rec diving I do, but that's just me...:)).

I used an Express Tech before I had ever tried a metal backplate. I liked it ... until I tried a metal backplate. I don't think I'd go back to a semi-rigid plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom