Soft or hard weights for Stiletto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is Zeagle's official recommendation for weights in a Stiletto -- soft or hard?
I was thinking of buying my own weights for diving in Monterey rather than renting them each time, and the LDS said I should ask the manufacturer which type is best suited for my BC.

Thanks. (FWIW I need 30lb right now for cold water diving, hoping that might go down a bit since I'm still pretty new at this.)

I don't know what Zeagles recommends is but I have Zeagle BCs and use shot lead in pouches. Its nice because you can add and subtract lead form the front and rear to eventually get a perfect trim. Also, if you want to change your weight as you get more experienced...dump some out.

Good luck,
O

I have used soft and hard weights in my Ranger. I don't think it matters. My LDS provides both for rental and classes and he uses Zeagle as his rentals.

"if you are using smaller weights" -- er, smaller than what?

I assume for standard 1, 2, 3 or 4 lb soft or hard weights, i don't need the weight bag? I don't see any way they'd slip out through the lacings...

Scott has it right get the yellow weight bags, helps to keep some strain off of the release line for the dump system plus it helps to distribute the weight in the pouch due to using the velcro tabs in the pouch. Seems like 30 lbs is a lot for Monteray. What type of tank, suit, are you using and what is you height & weight?

My vote goes to hard. Never knew how big a 5lb soft weight was until I found one on the bottom of the quarry.

What is Zeagle's official recommendation for weights in a Stiletto -- soft or hard?
I was thinking of buying my own weights for diving in Monterey rather than renting them each time, and the LDS said I should ask the manufacturer which type is best suited for my BC.

Thanks. (FWIW I need 30lb right now for cold water diving, hoping that might go down a bit since I'm still pretty new at this.)

Normally, it is best to put 1/2 of your weight onto a belt, and the other 1/2 on your integrated B/C.

This allows you to quickly ditch the belt, and also to ditch in increments. It is also easier to but on the B/C then. And a lite belt is better for your lower back.

I like a 10 to 14 lb belt (hard coated weights), max, and the rest on the B/C (soft weights) or on the BPW (weight plates).

So my answer to your question would be "both."

Scott has it right get the yellow weight bags, helps to keep some strain off of the release line for the dump system plus it helps to distribute the weight in the pouch due to using the velcro tabs in the pouch. Seems like 30 lbs is a lot for Monteray. What type of tank, suit, are you using and what is you height & weight?

Ha -- i had that same discussion on this board. For my checkout dives, I used 32 lbs for the first two dives, then dropped down to 30lbs. Using an 80 AL, and a *brand new* (i.e. very buoyant) SOL AFX 8/7mm suit. Height = 5' 7", wt =155 lbs. I was convinced with 32lbs I'd drop like a stone, but it was fine.

I had I think about 6 lbs in the trim pockets, and the other 24 in the waist pockets. I hate weight belts...

I was diving in Hawaii just recently (full 3mm suit, also new) and using 13-14 lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom