SOFLA dive trip on the cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am wanting to take my girlfriend on our first dive trip next spring or early summer. My main concern is the budget.

What is my most bang for the buck diving in South Florida? We will be driving from Alabama and I was thinking of maybe a day of shore dives in Ft. Lauderdale or Pompano on our way to Key Largo for 2-3 days of diving there.

Is Key Largo my best bet for affordable/quality diving in SOFLA? Should the Ft. Lauderdale shore dives be skipped?

What is the most affordable place to stay in Key Largo?

I have tons of questions...but I'll just leave it at this for now. Thanks!

You're on the right track doing shore dives. Take a look at da bridge, BHB, Blue Heron Bridge. There's a long running thread here re: bridge diving--it's world class diving and world class cheap. It is in Riviera Beach just north of W Palm Beach.

I'm sending a pm regarding Key Largo accommodations!! Boat trips are $55. and up in Key Largo; if you have tanks, all gear, etc.................

I agree that beach diving will make for an inexpensive trip. I dive Blue Heron Bridge often given the proximity to my home, but also like Lauderdale by the Sea.

Info on Blue Heron Bridge: http://www.jamminbeach.com/

Remember to only dive at slack high tide!

If you go to the keys, give consideration to camping. Two years ago, a buddy and I tent camped at Bahia Honda state park. Our campsite was right on the ocean: since there is no major light polution on this key, the stars at night were stunning. One could see so many: much like being in the mountains of Colorado or Neveda/California. We had a great time sitting around in our beach chairs, sipping a brew, listening to the waves, watching the stars and talking.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Marathon is close by (just across the seven mile bridge), with several dive operators and options for inexpensive casual dinners and breakfast. The park is about a 45 minutes drive to Key Largo, if you decide to dive there instead of Marathon.

Depending on the time of year, this hotel in Key Largo can be very affordable (rates change with the seasons). I've stayed at it half a dozen times. It is not fancy, but clean and nice. The backside of the hotel offers great views of the sun setting over the bay.

Key Largo Hotels, Hotel in key largo, Bayside Inn Key Largo

Thanks for the info guys! We will be going in May I believe.

If you had 3 days to dive Key Largo, what dives sites would you hit? (Let's say a top 6 sites, 3 days 2 sites per day)

Thanks for the info guys! We will be going in May I believe.

If you had 3 days to dive Key Largo, what dives sites would you hit? (Let's say a top 6 sites, 3 days 2 sites per day)

My personal favorites:

Spiegel Grove, Duane, Hens and Chickens, Molasses, Conch Wall, Jims Secret Garden.

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
Is Key Largo my best bet for affordable/quality diving in SOFLA?

What is the most affordable place to stay in Key Largo?

I have tons of questions...but I'll just leave it at this for now. Thanks!

Look for an operator that discounts multiple trips and also offers package deals with dives and hotel combined.

Seeing that you're a newer diver, I would suggest starting with Rainbow Reef and Key Dives since they both put a DM in the water with you for no extra charge.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom