Socorro's Bottlenose Dolphin Unique Behavior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was pretty cool to watch in a vid. I'm sure far better to actually be there.

Reactions: Dan
If you swim with a dolphin kick and act crazy and do spins - they love that and sometimes will come right in to within inches of you.

One of DM sort of did that and I captured in the video (26th-57th seconds of the video). :wink:

Really nice. Per the video they were swimming vertically, imitating divers. See, those are G.U.E. divers, and they were trying to tell you all to get in horizontal trim...

Your video shows something I recall others mentioning before; that in the Socorros, dolphins are often interactive with divers. When I hit the Galapagos, we saw a number of dolphins at Darwin's Arch, but they had no use for us! Their attitude seemed somewhere between indifference and 'Ah, crap, there goes the neighborhood.' (But dolphins breaching around us in the RIB topside with the Arch in the background was a moment of primordial beauty I may take to my grave).

So, what is it about the Socorros that brings out the sociability with humans in these guys?

I got to play with them a few years ago. My husband has video of me with a dolphin on either side, dolphin kicking in synchrony. It was one of those moments I’ll never forget!

Really nice. Per the video they were swimming vertically, imitating divers. See, those are G.U.E. divers, and they were trying to tell you all to get in horizontal trim...

Your video shows something I recall others mentioning before; that in the Socorros, dolphins are often interactive with divers. When I hit the Galapagos, we saw a number of dolphins at Darwin's Arch, but they had no use for us! Their attitude seemed somewhere between indifference and 'Ah, crap, there goes the neighborhood.' (But dolphins breaching around us in the RIB topside with the Arch in the background was a moment of primordial beauty I may take to my grave).

So, what is it about the Socorros that brings out the sociability with humans in these guys?

Come, join me & find out in May, One spot available in Nautilus Belle Amie May 11-19, 2021 $400 off :wink:

Don't know anything about those dolphins, but the spotted dolphins in the Bahamas (and Florida) are MUCH more friendly playful and social to humans and they are generally in larger groups compared to the much larger bottlenose species - from what I have seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom