Socorro Islands aboard the Solmar V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stphnmartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In November I managed to steal an adventure from and otherwise difficult 2020. After getting Covid-19 tested, keeping a temperature log and donning two masks, I ventured to the Socorro Islands for the first time with the GH5 on the Solmar V. I head read all the reports of camera housings getting taxed going through customs, but we got the green light when tapping the button and all was good!

Spent 8 days aboard the Solmar V with masked crew and divers. The crew was happy to be back at sea again after being shut down for months. I was happy to be back in warm water. Below is the video of the adventure.

Way cool. I actually stumbled upon this video yesterday on YouTube. I'm scheduled to be on Socorro Aggressor 2-2-21 (next week). I'm really looking forward to seeing most of what you had in the video. Not sure I'll see a whale shark this time of year but maybe a humpback. Hopefully I get a green light as well.

Way cool. I actually stumbled upon this video yesterday on YouTube. I'm scheduled to be on Socorro Aggressor 2-2-21 (next week). I'm really looking forward to seeing most of what you had in the video. Not sure I'll see a whale shark this time of year but maybe a humpback. Hopefully I get a green light as well.

Thanks! Hope you have a great trip. I also saw tiger sharks and false killer whales, but didn't get good footage of them. Seeing a humpback would be awesome. Hope you do!

Such an awesome video! Really enjoyed it.
Was it hard to operate the drones while going out for the dives in the panga?

Thanks! I flew the drone from the main boat-Solmar V. At that point in the trip we were going out to the dive site in different groups. So, I suited up and was ready to go in the second group. That gave me the opportunity to fly the drone, capture some footage, then race the drone back to land so I could get on the panga out to the dive. It is a little stressful! Especially trying to land it in stronger winds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom