Socorro and El Niño

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone knows if or how El Niño has affected diving in the Socorro Islands.
Any recent reports?
scheduled to visit in December

Warmer water.

Warmer water.

So we will try again.......anyone know or has heard reports of how the warmer water has affected, changed the diving experience in Socorro regarding shark, manta, fish life

---------- Post added November 24th, 2015 at 02:18 PM ----------

Warmer water.

So we will try again.......anyone know or has heard reports of how the warmer water has affected, changed the diving experience in Socorro regarding shark, manta, fish life

OK. It is maybe 1 at most 2C warmer right now than the long-term average at the site (see http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2015/anomp.11.23.2015.gif) for this time of year.
Last year at this time it was perhaps 0.5-1 C warmer than the long term average, and in 2013 about the same.
So what difference does 1C make? That's like October instead of November. Not much.

All the big, impressive El Nino effects you seem concerned (like 4C) about are much farther south, near the Equator.

I saw much more hammerheads and manta rays this year early spring at San Benedicto than my last trip there 2 years ago, it seems to be less affected by El Nino when compare with Cocos and Galapagos.
I went to Cocos last year, water was very warm and saw less than 50 hammerheads in my entire trip.

82 degrees??? Really? I just bought a new wetsuit expecting to be freezing my arse off.

Om going in late feb, fingers crossed for a bit of everything, haven't seen any reports on any lack of wildlife as of yet.

I just got this in an email:
"We have had a very unusual start to this season with water temperatures 3 - 4 degrees warmer than normal. So lots of mantas - many more than normal - and lots of fish but not a lot of sharks. We think the sharks are staying deeper in the cold water.. If you are interested, take a look through our latest blogs from guests and crew, photos and videos at www.nautilusatsea.com to see what our recent guests have been experiencing.. "

Our LDS just came back from November trip and had the same experience as the email posted by Chapala. Lots and lots of mantas and not as much shark action as previous trips in 2014 and 2013. Roca Partita was quiet compared to 2013 when we begged to stay an extra day...and they agreed. Crew said, "come back late 2016 or 2017 and it'll be great for sharks".

Rob

Back
Top Bottom