Soccoro Aggressor and teenager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfleming23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at potentially booking the Soccoro Aggressor for myself and my 15 year old son as a reward for him getting his eagle scout and had a couple questions.

Anyone see any reviews of the Soccoro Aggressor yet? I know they've only had a couple cruises but would love to see some feedback as they are so new.

Also, anyone have any experience bringing a teenager on for their fleet? How do they treat them? He's fairly experienced for his age (AOW & Rescue certified), but still a kid. On some other experiences we have had the crew sets the tone for how the kid is treated. For example Blackbeard's embraced them (his 10 yo brother too), while Scuba Club acted like he was a bother and made sure I knew it.

Thanks for the help

I've been on a couple of Aggressor boats with teens, one of whom was a special needs child, and they were great with them. OTOH, if Soccoro is anything like Cocos, and I think that it is, it might be a bit much for a relatively new diver of any age. Currents, negative entries, safety stops drifting in the blue, and fairly deep dives. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.

Thanks, hearing that they are good with kids was what was important to me. It really has the ability to make it break the trip for us both.

Don't let his age fool you. He now has more experience than a lot of other divers. He's fast approaching 100 dives and if we can work it into his summer schedule may have JR Divemaster before the trip. Plus as a swimmer and water polo player for his HS team about strength and stamina in the water isn't a concern for me.

Thanks, hearing that they are good with kids was what was important to me. It really has the ability to make it break the trip for us both.

Don't let his age fool you. He now has more experience than a lot of other divers. He's fast approaching 100 dives and if we can work it into his summer schedule may have JR Divemaster before the trip. Plus as a swimmer and water polo player for his HS team about strength and stamina in the water isn't a concern for me.

Hi tfleming23,

Has your son experienced liveaboards before? Socorro (Revillagigedo islands) are 240+- nautical miles from Cabo San Lucas. It is an open ocean crossing. You may have beautiful seas and then you may have 20 footers. I am not talking swells, I am talking seas.

Do some trips that are closer-in but still open ocean before trying Guadalupe Island, Revillagigedo, or Alijos Rock.

Flat water too ya!
markm

We did Blackbeard's this past summer, and didn't have the best of conditions (in fact they called them the worst they had all season) and we did a 3 day live aboard out of Cozumel a few years ago. Much calmer seas there. Both much shorter trips than Socorro, but we've had some exposure to it. I did Guadalupe about 12 years ago as well.

Have him bring a Nintendo Switch - or whatever the current poortable is. It's a full day of sailing each way.

When I brought my 15 (now 21) on his first LOB, which was an aggressor, we sat him down and told him he would be the only kid. We lectured him about how to behave and that he would have to be quiet and polite etc... We got on board and there were three 15-16 year old girls. I don't think they ever got out of the hot tub! The Aggressor was great. The captain even taught my son how to spear fish (lionfish). Took him out all by himself!

I can't remark on the crew in Socorro but I do know if I was going to Socorro (especially with my child and I have been 3 times) I would want a crew that was experienced with the Socorros. With it being a new boat I would be very wary.... or wait to hear more reviews. It's first trip was beginning of December.

FYI The diving can be very advanced.... no bottom out in the blue with strong currents.

He has more experience than a lot of divers, compared to whom? What kind of experience does he have?

I had a similar question brought up to me just two months ago. My friend's son is 17, he has about 200 logged dives, not bad. However, 90% of those are in Key Largo. He has never drift dived and all but a few of his dives have never gone below 40 feet. He asked if the dive guides in Cozumel would let them dive Barracuda. I told him ``not any dive company I would use.''

As I told him, the number of dives is irrelevant. Does he have negative entry experience? Drift dive experience? Surge experience? Deep blue experience? Separated from the group/buddy in strange topography experience? Navigation experience? Does he have four, five dives a day experience?

I would look at each of those, for as you know, not all dives are equal. 10 dives on Punta Sur, Cozumel is equal to about a 100 dives in Key Largo.

If he has all that experience, and he is a mature teen and an advanced diver, then you seem to be considered with how he will be treated from the crew. Short answer: They dont care about the age of the divers. As long as they dont have to babysit, they dont care what age you are. I doubt they will treat him special for being a teenager, but they wont treat him any different than anyone else.

How and why did Scuba Club treat him like a bother?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom