Soak Or Rebuild My Classic Aquarius

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gone2long

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dumb question, I know, but here goes:

I am using my 1970s vintage Aqualung Aquarius again for the first time in many years (I'm talkin' decades here, folks), and it worked fine for a while, but now I am getting leaks out of the two holes in the 1st stage. From what I have read, I figure the piston is not closing all the way, so I am soaking the regulator at the moment, trying to rid it of any corrosion.

My question is as follows: After a good soak, might that be enough of a fix, at least for the very short term. I need to use it to clean the hull of my boat real soon. No other regulator currently available.

Also, after the soak, how exactly to proceed? Do I leave all the hose connections off and blow some air from my tank through the regulator to get out any remaining water/vinegar? No compressor available either.

And, now the really dumb part. I forgot which hole I had my second stage connected to, right or left, and does it matter?

All comments appreciated,

G2L

Figured it out.

Soaked for 24 hours and put a new O ring on the second stage hose end. Blew out the vinegar using my tank air with all first stage holes open. Left the tank and first stage in the hot sun for an hour to evaporate any remaining water; then attached the second stage and turned on the air.

"Viola" - no more hissing sounds or leaks from the regulator, so no rebuild will be needed immediately. Owe my success to folks on various threads who supplied the tips. Kudos to all.

Also, put the 2nd stage hose back in the right side hole, as I am right handed and figured that, I would never have originally done the opposite. Pretty smart guy, after all,, no? : )

Don't answer that.

G2L

Back
Top Bottom