So many choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ex_hale

New
Reaction score
Help please, I am looking into purchasing a RB for Recreational use between NJ and Florida wreck dives with little or no desire to do deep penitration of wrecks. Typical depths would be above 150 FT at this point as I am not a huge fan of hanging on the line (in NJ anyways) I have done some research and so far I have come up with 3 potential choices for a RB for me:

Kiss Sport -- (Simple unit looks like it would be easy to maintain)

Prism Topaz-- (Has a number of nice features that seem to be options on other units)

Used Insperation (Price point and features)

or Wait until more experiance is collected on the optima (dive rite).

Any suggestions?

In some other threads I have seen referances to diving solo with RBs and this was not somthing that I had thought about when I began looking into RBs. Most of my diving would fall into the "solo" catagory typiclly called same ocean buddys in NJ. Feedback on how you have found other RB divers to dive with or if you dive with an OC buddy would be welcome.

Ex_hale:
Kiss Sport -- (Simple unit looks like it would be easy to maintain)
Great for travelling, easy to use and maintain, made for the profiles you need.
Very attractive price, easy to get unit and training.
For penertaton dives I recommend getting a case that protects the red connectors such as the Phi Box.

Prism Topaz-- (Has a number of nice features that seem to be options on other units)
Comes complete with everything but gas and sorb, ready to dive. Travels well due to light weight, will also fit overhead when disassmbled. Engineered for safety and transparency, probably the easiet to use electronically controlled CCR. Training available locally, delivery times still long due to company moving to Tennessee.

Used Insperation (Price point and features)
Rather not comment on Inspirations, not my thing.
But pretty big and heavy for travelling.

or Wait until more experiance is collected on the optima (dive rite).
Also rather large and heavy, especially with the stock tanks.
Scrubber leaves some to be desired. Pretty good electronics.
So far only feedback from instructors as customer rigs aren't
delivered yet.

Any suggestions?
Megalodon. Solid construction, with APECS electronics, ADV and HUD about the same price as PRISM or (new) YBOD. Better electronics and design as the latter. Very popular with cavers in FL & Mexico, wreckers along the east coast and UK.
Delivery between APD/Jetsam and SMI. Local training available.

Most of my diving would fall into the "solo" catagory typiclly called same ocean buddys in NJ.
Not a good idea, especially in the beginning. You start from scratch, need to get proficient in new and different skills. Have a look at
Madmole's "Fact or fiction/Die" page. Too many fatalities on solo or same buddy dives.

Same for other CCRs and SCRs.

You’ve managed to jump into some very deep water by asking that question, but my pick would be as follows (electronic units only):
1) Meg.
2) Insp.

The meg. is a very well built unit and capable unit. It can take abuse and the support for the unit is good. There are a number of options avail., there popularity is growing, I think this company is here to stay. Its capable of doing anything that most of us will ever consider and then some.

The Insp. Is without question the most popular and most modifiable RB out there. It’s easily serviceable, and there isn’t a single part that can’t be upgraded (that’s a matter of opinion) or changed, and I mean everything (electronics, ADV’s, Mouthpieces, scrubbers, hoses, scrubber material, counter lungs, ect.) there are several people that have started with an insp. And have modified it to the point that, well I don’t know what you would call it now. The point is that there will always be a market for this product and its not going anywhere. Many people use the number of deaths associated with this product as a reason to steer clear of it. This isn’t so, there is NOT ONE SINGLE death that can be attributed to the RB killing the diver……….its been diver error. Keep in mind that the likelihood of making a mistake with a RB is GREATER than scuba. There are more potential points of failure, more going on, and many more safety procedures to learn. It’s important to know that you’re starting from scratch.

Good Luck

J

I have dived the three units you are looking at. In the end chose the PRISM.
http://uwphotog.com/equipment/breathers.html

If not the PRISM I would have gone one of the new Megs, the Inspo/Evo and Optima where well down my list.

Cheers
Chris

Back
Top Bottom