So I'm trying out these S-P Twin Jet Max...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarKon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a newbie, doing my OW cert, but I've snorkeled and played around with fins before. I've always felt pretty natural underwater, I'm an OK athlete, and loved Discover Scuba. I got these graphite Twin Jet Max (I know they're ridiculously priced, but this whole undertaking is an indulgence, so I'm gonna indulge:D They look great and I'm psyched. But in the pool I noticed two things:
1: I felt like I didn't really have control in any direction except going straight in a flutter kick (they were very powerful for that).
2: I felt like I was slow to react, like I had to take a couple seconds to gather the fins under me before going anywhere. They're long and I felt clumsy.
I'm wondering if this is all just me getting used to the scuba gear (still loved being underwater), or if my experiences are examples of the problems with split fins that some people dislike. Was my experience an example of the difference between split and paddle fins, or is is just b/c I'm new and still kinda suck? If it's the former, I'll probably be able to try some other fins from my LDS (they're cool and I'm giving them alot of $$$, so it's all good) Any rec's? Thinking Slipstream, what else?

Pretty much, what you described is what I found when I went back and tried split fins again, after having dived stiff paddle fins for a couple of years.

If you're diving dry, I think one of the cheapest and most effective fin choices is Scubapro Jet fins. They aren't great for high speed straight forward motion, but that's something I almost never do while diving. They're great for everything else, but they are a little negative (more so with spring straps) so they don't work well for people who are feet heavy while diving with minimal exposure protection.

I expect my diving to consist of NJ wreck and quarry, Keys diving, and some diving hotspots (hopefully). I want to confine my diving to the best possible conditions (June-Oct in NJ) for at least the next few years, so a dry suit is pretty far down the road. I checked out the Jets, but they seemed so heavy, that's why I was thinking slipstreams. I don't imagine I'll be going heavier than a 5-mil wetsuit. My LDS is pretty high on SP TwinJets, so I'd appreciate any other advice for non-split fins that you knowledgeable folks could share.

this is interesting because I am in the same situation where I bought the same fins and wondered how they will be. I can return them but I want to know how well they will work. And you're correct on the pricing.. man they're expensive.

I have them too... Bought them with my first set of gear, but as I am sure you will hear, they are rather limited to one kick style: flutter. MarKon these might not be bad for you when you travel, but with bulkier equipment (when diving the beautifil quarries of PA) I have switched to a more traditional paddle fin. They take a little getting used to as they seem much harder to kick, but as an "OK athlete" you should be ok! Happy diving!

As far as rec's are concerned, I have Mares fins and love the ease of getting in and out of them. I would definitely go and check out some of the fins that Mares offers.

I have been very pleased with the OMS Slipstreams and they will allow you to perform the anti-silting kicks and turns. Speed doesn't really mean much to me - control of motion, conservation of breathing gas, and ability to hover are much more important.

thanks for all the advice. I picked up a pair of slipstreams and will post later this week on what I perceive the differences to be. I truly hope I prefer these b/c I really don't want to bother my lds staff anymore, at least about fins...
Hopefully this may help you CJM, as a side note, even with springstraps the're roughly $100 cheaper :)

I tried out the OMS Slipstreams (XL). The slipstream provided maneuverability and quick acceleration. The Twin Jet Max (TJM) seemed to crush the slipstream once I got moving in one direction. But that was the problem with the TJM, I felt more like a torpedo, I had to get myself oriented and start fluttering. The TJM also felt kind of similar to the paddle, it was stiff and I definitely knew I was wearing it. The TJM is supposed to be stiffer than the Twin Jet, and more like a paddle. I guess, depending on how you look at it, it could be either the ‘best of both worlds’ or ‘jack of all trades, master of none’.
I found that I personally preferred the maneuverability and instant thrust of the slipstream to the speed of the TJM. The paddle provided thrust with each kick. I guess kick for kick the paddle delivered more thrust, it just lost efficiency as momentum was gained.
I’m going to keep the slipstreams, I really like them, going to invest in the springstraps and some better boots. As a side note, I have a pair of Deeps Sea Echozip?(10) boots with what I think is called a ‘boat sole’, it’s somewhat soft. I almost fell and busted my butt at the pool twice, think their traction stinks – thank god for my cat like reflexes (right.....) Getting a bigger boot, think it will fit the fin nicely.

Back
Top Bottom