So I made a Toddy Style instructional video for liveaboards...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually there is an official course in the cave curriculum, but it requires 50 cave2 level dives in standard GUE configuration (doubles and/or JJ). Here's the link:

Cave Sidemount

Cool, however I have no intention to pursue cave diving and that is apparently a prerequisite for GUE side mount. Also there are no local GUE instructors/groups that close to me from what I've seen. I think their a great group overall and have a good philosophy for diving but I likely won't be training with them.

@RayfromTX you incidentally proved my point though. You migrated to sidemount because of specific needs for your diving. You didn't try to fit an oblong peg into a square hole, you found the oblong hole and chose the oblong peg. I don't disagree with sidemount where it is the best tool for the job and there are an infinite number of scenarios where you may have an oblong hole and mine may be square. That may be because I'm the size of a polar bear and I can get LP121 doubles with a pair of deco bottles up the ladder into a tuna door in rolling 6's with little strain or it may be because I prioritize a tank on my back and will go for a single tank backmount with a sidemounted bottle if I need the redundancy. Who's to say, but the industry seems to be pushing these oblong pegs into square holes for divers where it doesn't really make sense and I disagree with that. You can dive sidemount off of boats pretty easily if you have your sh!t together and are properly trained and experienced. If you have to do that because the dive calls for it, then by all means, use it. I just don't understand when people try to force it.

The toddy system still uses an old style of bungee where it is a single bungee with a bolt snap a la original Nomad and Hollis systems. I agree that the loop is better/easier and converted my Nomad over many years ago.

I always thought Toddy required whiskey, lemon juice and honey, served warm.

Hotty toddy, gosh almighty. F-ck Ole Miss
Commonly sung on LSU campus on game day vs Ole Miss

So I watched, your video, it's a stellar effort. It takes a lot to put something like this together, so well done OP @roman50

I have only just started my SM journey, so am absorbing as much as I can, but have a fair amount of 'other' dive experience. Although definitely NOWHERE near @tbone1004 at all, that's for sure. Sho!.....anyways, I would be listening to the gentleman's comments, as others experiences may just cut your learning time.

You asked for feedback, and I think that is exactly what you got. There is nothing wrong with trying things out, but one thing mentioned here was 'open mindedness' and I think if anything that is the key. To consider most opinions, and try things out that make sense. I think the reason you have perceived so much here as 'negative' commentary, is because of the lack of open-mindedness. Not everyone is right, and even those that are, may not be 100% right, I get that. They also may not know your specifics, but all I am trying to help with here is for you to consider some things that have been said.

Again, I am new to the SM seen, but old to the diving seen. And personally, just observing your techniques, it seems very task heavy as already mentioned, and excessive. I think the thought path is great so well done, but you may find ways to simplify this even more, whilst still making it safe.

We primarily dive off of RIB's here in sunny SA, and I think most will know that we definitely have some serious waters to contend with. I often have SMs on boats with me when we are doing tech dives (and rec dives of course) as we are a mixed bunch of back mount and SM. And most of the time they will clip their gear on correctly and have everything set-up 100% before entering the water (we do also get kitted up at the site with cylinders, short or long boat ride, regardless). The only change may be that they have clipped off the top of each tank with a double-ender from the shoulder D ring, to the thin rope we tie around the neck of the cylinder. Then once in the water, you can bungee up. This is also a nice fail-safe if your bungee does snap on a dive, then you can still clip off the cylinder. You can also use the bungee initially, but this is a bit of a 'save-the-bbunge' trick.

Another bit I have done with a stage before, and was a suggestion from my tec instructor, is that if you do want to re-clip something/roll back off the boat differently etc. then clipping the cylinder to your crotch strap might be better as it sits between your legs and is easier to hold on the backward roll, even when holding other items. Its just another method to try, that's all. But more applicable to the 3rd (stage) cylinder more so then your back/side gas.

So basically what I am saying is, we may have the same struggles you talk of re environment, filling cylinders etc. or maybe even worse, and we still find ways to do it, that from my 'limited' knowledge and observation seems a lot safer and easier. I really think what's been said here is only in the positive sense (except maybe a comment here or there, I didn't read all) and are intended to help you become a better and safer diver.

Good luck, your photography and videography work does sound super interesting :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom