So here's a storm trivia question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, since they retire names of some really bad storms and replace them with a name starting with the same letter...

and when they run out of the alphabet, they use Alpha, Beta, Gamma...

What the heck do they do if they have to retire one of the Greek letters? Unlikely I know but...

Cryllic is mostly a mix of Greek and Latin letters. Correct me if I'm wrong here (and I probably am wrong), but to my knowledge, there are very few cryllic letters that aren't found in either the Greek or Latin alphabets.

Mantasscareme:
Cryllic is mostly a mix of Greek and Latin letters. Correct me if I'm wrong here (and I probably am wrong), but to my knowledge, there are very few cryllic letters that aren't found in either the Greek or Latin alphabets.
I think Walter was joking, but -

Several Cyrillic <spelled differently> letters, including beh, deh, yo, zheh, zeh, ee, ee krahtoyeh, ehl, shah, i, yoo, and yah seem to have no direct counterpart. See, for example:

http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/language/russian-alphabet.html

Just saw this in Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog

"There are no provisions for what to do in the event we have to retire Beta's name and replace it on the list of hurricane names. One possibility is that the storm will be dubbed Beta-2005 and the name Beta will be reused. Another possibilty is that Beta will be skipped over next time the Greek alphabet comes into use."

Damselfish:
What the heck do they do if they have to retire one of the Greek letters? Unlikely I know but...
Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog... some of you may recognize these... :)
Rick

I still think they should just number them with the year and order of occurrence.
IE:
2005-1, 2005-2, 2005-3, etc.

the K

They've decided to add in names for the letters they haven't been using.

Mantasscareme:
Correct me if I'm wrong here (and I probably am wrong), but to my knowledge, there are very few cryllic letters that aren't found in either the Greek or Latin alphabets.

I was teasing about Cyrillic. Cyrillic is based on Greek, but is didderent. Since I'm not all that familiar with the Greek alphabet, I can't answer your question. Knotical, I tried to find the answer by following your link, but the Greek alphabet wasn't there.

Damselfish:

I expect they just retire it, and then they've got one less greek letter to use next year. Hopefully, they'll have a few years to hold committee meetings to figure out what to do when they run out of greek letters...

It looks like Nigaragua will get hit by soon-to-be-Hurricane Beta in about 72 hours...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom