So Am I Crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SauroScubaDivers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
We're leaving for Belize this Saturday! I'm so excited. We have decided to split our time half and half (pretty much) for AC and mainland adventures. We are pretty budget minded and in looking through the guidebook, have found a few options for lodging and diving; but we haven't actually booked anything on AC yet. I was wondering if since it is off-season and possibly stormy, would it be better to just book our hotel and contract our diving separately when we get there? or should we go ahead and book the hotel/diving packages that most offer? We have DAN insurance that should cover the cost of a cancelled trip due to weather...

So am i crazy for considering this as an option?

Thanks so much!

With very few exceptions a package of hotel and diving is two businesses working together for commission and isn't good value for you. A dive group was here last month at Patojo's and paid around US$600 for a week's B&B and 5 day's diving, but that's exceptional.

Otherwise, stay and dive as totally separate transactions, and don't book diving until you get here. Cheap accommodation includes Pedro's Inn, Ruby's, Lily's and others. Lots of choices for diving - expect to pay no more than US$60 for two dives. A bit more if you rent equipment.

It's off season yes, but it isn't stormy. Today for example is absolutely glorious. We have had rain an night a bit recently and once during the day, but generally the weather is very hot and still.

I don't think DAN (Americas, Europe or any other - they're all substantially different) offer trip insurance, so a cancelled dive trip won't be covered by that insurance. You need separate trip insurance for that, though with conditions as they are at present you're unlikely to claim on it. If you have the top level of DAN America's cover you will be covered for non-diving trauma such as tripping in the jungle and breaking your ankle. But not if you catch malaria, though that's pretty unlikely.

Thanks so much for all your input. I'm glad you mentioned that the hotel/diving package isn't as good a value. I actually checked into staying at the same hotel and booking the diving separately (basically the same "package" deal) and it was $300 cheaper! Although that doesn't include airfare... so when you factor that in it's about $80 cheaper....I guess they think that people won't do the math!

Last edited:
I second what Peter says, book your dives by the day. . . you never know when you are just gonna wake up and go, F-it I don't feel like diving in the rough 2-3 ft seas today :)

Dan offers separate trip insurance.

However, if you have not booked anything - what are your insuring?

The insurance you generally get with Dan does not cover gear loss either - that's a separate policy!

Dan offers separate trip insurance.

However, if you have not booked anything - what are your insuring?

The insurance you generally get with Dan does not cover gear loss either - that's a separate policy!

it does, but it has to be lost during a DCI incident that is covered under DAN insurance . . . ie dropping your mask over the boat isn't covered. but having your wetsuit cut off you after a DCI hit would be.

DISCLAIMER: I have DAN have never had to use it, thankfully, and am only typing what I remember from the DAN website when I registered.

I was saying if we booked the whole package and paid upfront, we would have the trip insurance (from the premium DAN insurance package). but i'm thinking we'll just book our diving day by day... we're considering either sunbreeze hotel, or tides beach resort... anybody have a preference?

If you go to the Tides (Patojo's) you'll get such a good deal booking all your diving through them that you'd be foolish not doing so. The weather at present is most unlikely to restrict your diving, though maybe the Belikin (local beer) may!

belikin premium . . . yummy . . .

Back
Top Bottom