Snowboarding after diving and DCS, how long should I wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinoD'Voe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a day of diving would it be safe to go boarding the next day? The top of our local mountains here in Vancouver are around 4700', while the top of whistler is approximately 7400'. What is a suggested number of hours to wait after the last dive?

In additon to an altitude ascent, you are going to be doing some major physical activity which increases your DCS risk. Dr. Deco should have some good advice on this. My first question is what altitude are you diving at and what altitude are you boarding at? I'm assuming your surface interval to go boarding the next day will be around 18 hours which I would think would be sufficient after some mild dives.

thanks for the info. I'm doing all my diving at sea level, nothing at altitude. All the boarding will be around the 3000'-4500' range here at the local mountains and 2200'-7400' range in whistler.

You can get the equivalent of a bend from ascending a mountain too quickly so being careful seems a good idea.

I'd go with what has already been said to you about flying rules but add my penny's

worth... If you wait long enough to completely offgas then any little niggles such as

joint pain from the cold wont be a worry.

Knowing me if I'd rushed it it would prey on my mind and my next worry would be

disentangling myself from the first obstacle I hit because i wasnt focussed.

Me.. worrier NEVER!

Have fun

As far as physical activity and DCS is concerned, one day post diving should not represent any increase in risk.

Back
Top Bottom