Snorkelling with humpbacks from Grand Turk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drpepper

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to see the humpbacks of the Silver Bank this Feb. However, I'm not overly keen on the idea of a liveaboard due to the expense and the fact that ALL you see is humpbacks. It's a lot of money for a week of snorkelling.

For a more diverse holiday I've been looking into staying on Grand Turk, which the humpbacks migrate past on their way to Silver Bank. It seems straightforward enough to SEE the whales from Grand Turk, but the locals I've emailed are rather more vague about how likely getting in the water for a snorkel with them would be.

Does anyone have experience of snorkelling with Humpbacks from Grand Turk (or Salt Cay)?

I was recently on provo. One of the dive operators I used mentioned seeing them off west caicos hanging out. I don't know about snorkelling though. If you want to contact them, it was Flamingo divers. GREAT outfit. great customer service

From my understanding it is now "less snorkeling" and more " captured in a Zodiac all freakin' day" type of trip, definitely not worth the liveaboard price. I believe a snorkeler got smacked by a Mama whale a couple years back and they really restrict the in water time now. As I recall there was a trip report in Undercurrent last year about this subject.

Ah yes - just read the Undercurrent report. Very interesting - thanks for that. Seems things have changed quite a bit... meaning I may change my vacation plans.

If anyone else has any info it'd be much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom