Snorkeling with Manatee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have heard of a few manatee encounter operations that harass manatee and generally dont follow the rules. Are there any operations that are upstanding and do adhere to the laws concerning manatee. I am looking to do a manatee encounter with my sig other, and would love to use an operation that respects the wildlife while allowing for at least a quick view of the animal.

Thanks!

We (The boss/dive buddy/swmbo and I) are heading down to Crystal River later in the month to check out the sea cows. We will have our yaks and snorkel/dive gear with us. We will go it alone and enjoy the sights.

I'll get alot of flak for this, but who cares.
IMO, all the boat operators are exploiting the animals for profit. If they are turning a screw, they can injure a manatee and they are putting hydrocarbons in the water. It's a very easy paddle over to Three Sisters. Plenty of places to rent a canoe or kayak and you can launch at Hunters Spring Park for free.

Dave & Carl at Adventure Dive Center in Crystal River are absolutely first class, and you won't go wrong with them. I've been bringing groups down to snorkel and dive with them for 8 years now, and can say nothing but great things about them. Have fun!

This doesn't answer your question, but might I suggest that there may be a concern about which you have not even thought... the other people on the boat.

When I went for the Manatee encounter earlier this year, I was with a dive buddy of mine, two other divers, plus two women and two girls. We were given very explicit directions on how to "behave" so as to encourage interaction... e.g. be quiet, don't splash around, float on the surface, wait for the manatees to come to you, etc. My dive buddy, the other two divers, and I, had no problems following the directions and would have had very nice encounters except one of the women and one of the girls in the other group didn't know how to snorkle and kept sculling and kicking and literally, shrieking. I though the DM was going to lose his mind. But what do you do? We eventually did have a bit of an interaction but it wasn't what it could have been, bc the one manatee that was hanging around was obviously apprehensive of the shrieking and splashing going on.

So, something to think about... if you can figure out a way to do a private session, or take yourself out, that would be the best. I've also heard that in the winter, Manatees can be found at Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park as well as (imagine this...) Manatee Springs!?!? They might be other options, someone who is more familiar with FL might could provide insight?

I have heard of a few manatee encounter operations that harass manatee and generally dont follow the rules. Are there any operations that are upstanding and do adhere to the laws concerning manatee. I am looking to do a manatee encounter with my sig other, and would love to use an operation that respects the wildlife while allowing for at least a quick view of the animal.

Thanks!

Thanks for you input. I think i might go with Bird's as they seem to have a more genuine respect for the animals.

I'll get alot of flak for this, but who cares.
IMO, all the boat operators are exploiting the animals for profit. If they are turning a screw, they can injure a manatee and they are putting hydrocarbons in the water. It's a very easy paddle over to Three Sisters. Plenty of places to rent a canoe or kayak and you can launch at Hunters Spring Park for free.

Yes, I understand that there are environmental concerns beyond that of just interacting with the animal. However, I have pretty much given up hope that one person holding out is going to save them, and I am not familiar enough with the area to just pick up a Kayak and go. If you would like to bring me on a private tour, I would be willing to partake though :)

When will you be down?

Check out this web page. Kayak with the Manatees at Crystal River and Three Sisters Springs, FL

It really is as easy as "just pick up a Kayak and go". There are many kayak rentals in the area, they will supply life jackets with the kayak;and you can launch right from the shop from a few rental places.
My only suggestion is arrive early, by 7:30 or so. Once all the tour boats start showing up, the manatees start to head out for the day.

I have not been on the Scuba website for a while and just saw this post about the manatee tours.

I have some friends in Florida that run tours check them out......
http://www.manateesinparadise.com

No cattle boat, small groups- six or less, they run a very manatee friendly operation, no harassment, great encounters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom