Snorkeling sites for my non-diving family

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alara1972

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, we'll be in Cozumel in a few weeks and I'm looking for any recommendations that you all may have regarding good snorkeling sites that I may be able to take my wife and kids to. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

What hotel are you staying at? Several of them have pretty good snorkeling right on site.....

Optimally though, the best snorkeling will only be reachable by boat. So some others may be able to recomend a op/tour that does 3 reefs with lunch or something. Would be very fun to do with the wife and kids.

Other wise snag some bread from your hotel, and snorkel off shore. :)

Chankanaab Park had an excellent snorkeling area before Wilma, but I haven't been to the Park since the storm. There was also a great area at Playa Corona, which is just south of Chankanaab, but I haven't been there recently, either. Unfortunately, Wilma did a real number on the shallow close in reefs, though the far south end came through relatively unscathed. If you can get them on a boat trip to Colombia Shallows, that would really wow them.

Starfish flats are also super cool to snorkel.

Somewhere down south, maybe close to Punta Sur area? We were down there doing a dive and we did our SI one time there on the boat, and then I have been there one time on a snorkel/dive trip. It is a huge sand flat about 10-15' deep and it is star fish and sea cucumbers as far as you can see.....hundreds and hundreds of them. Definately a cool place.....I am sure some of the locals or frequent divers can pinpoint it!

Most people find Chankanaab expensive vs the snorkeling you'll get there. Punta Sur is cheaper, but conditions can be iffy if the winds are up in just about any direction. Palancar beach club tour is $35 per person, and there's another good tour offered at Alberto's beach club at roughly that price. Next best choice I've done since Wilma is the area between the Presidenté & Fiesta Americana, but it's not what it once was either.

https://picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules/SnorkelingBetweenThePresidenteFiestaAmericanna#

https://picasaweb.google.com/CozumelTimeCapsules/SnorkelingAtPuntaSur#

Starfish flats are also super cool to snorkel.

That's El Cielo, an inshore cove north of Punta Sur. There's an outlet there from Colombia lagoon. Land access requires a brisk swim/run with crocodilles, so everyone goes there by boat.

It would help to know where you're staying. There's good shore snorkeling in many parts of the island and there might be some very convenient to your accommodation.

That's El Cielo, an inshore cove north of Punta Sur. There's an outlet there from Colombia lagoon. Land access requires a brisk swim/run with crocodilles, so everyone goes there by boat.

It would help to know where you're staying. There's good shore snorkeling in many parts of the island and there might be some very convenient to your accommodation.
Is that the same as Faro Celarain or Punta Celerain, near the lighthouse at the south end of the island? I have heard there is a nominal admission fee to the park, and that there are guides that will take you out in a small boat to the flat areas. What I read on trip advisor was that the area was shallow and very nice for snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom