Snorkeling - Shore Diving at AKR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sefuchs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have a big group going to Anthony's Key Resort in March. We have several non-divers and a couple rookie divers. How is the snorkeling and shore diving at the resort?

Divide the two thoughts.

Put your snorkelers on a dedicated snorkel boat provided by the dive op. They will be happy. Mixing divers and snorkelers is a bad idea, esp in this North side u/w terrain.

AKRs Shore Dive, at least the one they point you at, it’s kind of marginal. It is only available (no real reason) during very limited hours daily. There is not much to see for hundreds of feet as this Sea exposure gets the snot beat out of it during storms. During the period of Sept thru March, it is likely weathered out.

The best shore dive at AKR is really great- it’s the muck dive between the dive op and the Key. Great macro, super night dive, but not what must people crave.

Their boat dive schedule is sufficient for most, a good product. I would depend on that, if you find their advertised Shore Dive acceptable, call it a bonus. Not many really bother more than once, if at all. There are a small number that rave, but after 5 (?) tries, count me out.

Ya I don't expect a boat trip of mixed snorkeler and scuba to be overly satisfying for either group. Just hoping the (shore) snorkeling at AKR keeps the snorkelers happy. The muck night dive sounds fun, I'll have to give that a try. Thx.

Yes, they’re every damned place. But, think about it- on common dive sites, way less.

You do a quick course, purchase a Roatan Marine Park License, go.

Roatan has a whole lot more going for it than diverting your attention to this. Take the UW Naturalist Course, see what you’ve been missing. Roatan is one of the last remaining, easily visited, Caribbean dive destinations that still hold my attention.

Lots to see.

Yes, they’re every damned place. But, think about it- on common dive sites, way less.

You do a quick course, purchase a Roatan Marine Park License, go.

Roatan has a whole lot more going for it than diverting your attention to this. Take the UW Naturalist Course, see what you’ve been missing. Roatan is one of the last remaining, easily visited, Caribbean dive destinations that still hold my attention.

Lots to see.

Thx Doc - More specifically, wondering if AKR would let me hunt the b@$tards while diving from their boats. Generally not a fan of the multitude of PADI courses but the UW Naturalist could be interesting.

Generally not a fan of the multitude of PADI courses but the UW Naturalist could be interesting.

The course is shite. The instructor is critical. You need to find someone who really knows the local fauna well.

Send the snorkelers over to Half Moon Bay. They can snorkel plenty (we've seen an octopus, rays etc.), especially on the left side as you look out from Sundowners. Advantage that they can go out over the reef with a short swim from the far left side of the beach, and also have a place to drink/eat, ice cream shop etc. all right there! We've even kayaked with gear from HMB over to AKR and back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom