Snorkeling Report Dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlskill1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was on Dominica for 12 days (June 8 - June 20) with a land based class. I did get to snorkel two sites while we were on island. We went to Champagne Reef and Sunset Bay Resort Reef. We brought our own masks and snorkels and only had to rent fins. Champagne Reef is really cool place to swim. It's called Champagne Reef due to the release of volcanic gas bubbles underwater that resembles champagne bubbles. Swimming thru the bubbles, you can feel the heat difference between that and the surrounding water. Maybe as much as 5-10 degrees. Sunset Reef is nice, but I liked Champagne Reef better. One interesting event at Sunset Reef: A small freshwater stream emptied into the ocean near Sunset Reef and the mixing of the 2 densities of water (fresh and salt) created the effect called "Schlieren". This was very difficult to see thru much less try and take a picture thru. Anyway, it was rather interesting to see this optical effect.

Among the fish I did see were the following: needlefish, parrotfish, reef butterflyfish, blennies, goldentail moray, jack-knife fish, sharp-tailed eel, trumpetfish, reef squid, file fish, blue tangs, ocean surgeonfish, cocoa damselfish, blue-headed wrasse, sgt. majors, long-spined sea urchins, scorpionfish, gobies, slippery dick wrasse, and numerous juveniles.
Snorkeling only made me wish all the more that I had some dive gear.

Our class went inland to Emerald Pool, Boiling Lake, Middleham Falls, Victoria Falls, Fresh Water Lake, Boeri Lake, Cabrits, Stinking Hole, Trafalgar Falls, Titou Gorge Falls, Kalinago Territory, Soufriere, and Scott's Head Point.
A whirlwind adventure that only makes me want to go again! I flew Liat Airlines from Puerto Rico (even after hearing about lost bags). I thought they did a very nice, efficient job of moving us from SJU to Antigua and then to Dominica.

Was there for a week of diving a couple years ago-BEST diving I've ever done in the Caribbean--ever....We stayed @ Castle Comfort for the week & absolutely had a great time.....Did all the inland stuff in the afternoons & evenings.....UW we saw everything from 2 manta rays to many(in front of the Lodge as shore dives) Flying Gunards...

btw, there were 17 in our group from Louisiana with a total of 22 checked in bags(we flew LIAT also) & 18(-eighteen-) of the suitcases did NOT make it to the Lodge with us that Saturday evening....but....ALL 18 were there by noon the next day---they went one way Saturday while island hopping to Dominica while we went another...:)..so all was forgiven by Sunday @ dinner..lol

Definitely will go back.......

EDIT:...all my pics & videos can be found @ this link under the sub-albums with Dominica in their names...& there are a ton of them....
Pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

Pics from Dominica

157.jpg160.jpg163.jpg173.jpg

A few pics from snorkeling in Dominica. I took others, but while pushing buttons on my camera, I deleted like 150 pics from Champagne Reef!!!!

View attachment 128236View attachment 128237View attachment 128238View attachment 128239

A few pics from snorkeling in Dominica. I took others, but while pushing buttons on my camera, I deleted like 150 pics from Champagne Reef!!!!

There is a good chance the photos are still on your card. A file recovery program can often find and restore deleted photos. I formatted a card once before a night dive at Cozumel without remembering to first download that day's photos. I can't remember what program I used but it recovered all the photos.

Thanks for the info. I uploaded a recover file program and found all my deleted files. Now, I might be able to upload a few more mermaid pics. Yipee!

---------- Post Merged at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:01 PM ----------

_ict0316.jpg_ict0317.jpg_ict0323.jpg_ict0329.jpg_ict0338.jpg_ict0339.jpgDominica2012 492.jpg

Last edited:
We will be in Dominica for 1 day on a cruise ship. I know Champagne Reef is very special- is it worth doing as 1 of only 2 dives at Dominica? Or is the diving better elsewhere. Thanks!

Kryssa:
We will be in Dominica for 1 day on a cruise ship. I know Champagne Reef is very special- is it worth doing as 1 of only 2 dives at Dominica? Or is the diving better elsewhere. Thanks!

Champagne reef is an interesting dive but I would not say it's better than the other dives. I prefer the pinnacle dives.

Champagne reef is an interesting dive but I would not say it's better than the other dives. I prefer the pinnacle dives.

same here plus any wall diving out in front of Soufriere or Scotts Head ----& Witches Point(same area though).....ie I'd ask for that on region back to back tanks......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom