Snorkeling locations on NJ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ant888

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been wondering if there are any snorkeling areas in New Jersey. I've searched on Google, but not much comes up. Anyone know any good places? Thanks a lot in advance!!

Reactions: OTF
The ocean off the mid Atlantic coast is very nutrient rich, and therefore does not usually offer very good visibility, this especially true near shore. So not a lot of snorkeling going on at the Jersey shore.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've heard there isn't good visibility. But, I've heard an area by Barnegat inlet has good visibility. I saw this video on YouTube:

Manasquan River Railroad Bridge near Pt. Pleasant, perhaps. Gets to 20', but plenty shallower. Scuba site. Watch the tidal current. I almost got pulled under the bridge once.

A good area for snorkeling in NJ during summertime is Sedge Island Wildlife Management Area, near Barnegat inlet. The area is sand bottom, shallow with decent visibility, if you go over there try and do your snorkeling during the week, weekends you have way to many boaters! Last time I was there we had a school of young stingrays swimming around the boat for a few hours in 5ft of water, it's a realty nice area to swim and snorkel during the week. Don't even think about going during weekends!

I know an older thread but there is some great snorkeling back in the Sedge Islands in Island Beach Sate Park. Granted you need a kayak to get out there, or a boat to come off the bay, but it is some great, clear, water. They have a resource center out there with a channel that runs in front of it maybe 10 to 15 feet deep and you can see right to the bottom. Great fly fishing out there also.

Opps, I just saw this mentioned right above me. But I second it. Joe

There's a freediving group that meets regularly at Round Valley Reservoir.
The scenery is nothing to write home about, but it gets as deep at 40 meter in some places, so it's great for freediving. Nearer the shore, there's a lot of aquatic vegetation. I haven't explored that much, but it might be somewhat interesting.

Back
Top Bottom