Snorkeling in the Clearwater area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mxracer19

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'll be traveling to Clearwater, Fl this Sunday and I'm interested in doing some close-to-shore snorkeling. I'm not much interested in boat trips as this is a budget trip with the gf. Do any of you locals have knowledge of some easy-to-get-to near-shore snorkeling sites? Possibly near-shore reefs? Or anything cool to look at?

Thanks!
Matt

The nearest is Bradenton. There are a couple shore dives down there. One is a really nice reef and the other is the remains of an old wreck. There isn't much of the wreck left at all. The reef is called The Spanish Rocks. The depth on it goes about 20'. Lots of life. The wreck is the Sugar Barge.Thewreck is right off shore but the reef is about 100 yard swim. If you need more info just let me know. If you want to travel further south to Venice you could probably freedive for sharks teeth. Not a lot to look at but some cool teeth.

Head up to Crystal River, or Rainbow River if you can.

My better half and I head to Sand Key Park in Clearwater a fair amount, and have seen a fair amout of life in the sand. You will see some decent sized Rays, and dolphins playing just outside the jetty.

How about Egmont Key? I think there's some type of cheap pontoon boat trip out there. Never been, but have seen ads before.

John

I would also try Point of Rocks at Siesta Key. Fish and crabs are usually all over the rocks. Also, lots of shells, etc. Rocks start at about 5' Depth and continue out, depending on how far you want to snorkel out.

Take the south bridge over to the island and park near the 7-11 on the east side of the road. Rocks are just off the beach near the point. After, you can go to the public beach to the north for the best beach in the area. They have showers there too.

Hey guys, thanks for all the quick responses! I think weve settled on Sand Key Park for the early part of the day with a drive to Brandonton later on. They shouldnt be too far apart right? Ill update when we get back.

Thanks,
Matt

How about Egmont Key? I think there's some type of cheap pontoon boat trip out there. Never been, but have seen ads before.

John

I don't think they run that boat anymore. It was very cool to say the least. 1/2 a day on Egmont key to check out the fort ruins, wander around and snorkle, the family loved it. The only one I know of besides the Caladesi ferry is a dolphin watching tour.

Hey guys, thanks for all the quick responses! I think weve settled on Sand Key Park for the early part of the day with a drive to Brandonton later on. They shouldnt be too far apart right? Ill update when we get back.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

Actually they are pretty far apart. From Sand Key you have go pretty far east to get to US 19 or I-275 which lead to the Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay, which is a decent hike, then Bradenton Beach is much farther west than it might seem. Google Map it.

Unfortunately in the Clearwater area there's mostly just a lot of sand right on the beaches, no reefs. There are artificial reefs off of Redington to Sand Key but they are a few hundred yards out, about 12' to 15' deep. Visibility can be 15', usually more like 5' to 8'. I've dove them from my kayak, with a GPS aboard to find them. Storm drain boxes and culvert pipes mostly, and lots of fish.
http://www.floridaskindiver.com/WWC D Section.htm

Snorkeling in Bradenton can be good, as others have said, if there are not westerly winds and surf. That's true for St Pete to Clearwater too. http://www.floridaskindiver.com/WWC A Section.htm

Chad

Chad_Carney, I just recently got into yak diving. I live in Dunedin, and was wondering if there were any places in Pinellas County to take the kayak to for diving. You mentioned between Redington and Sand Key. Do you have any other info you could give me, like where I should put my kayak in at, or other suggestions? Any other places in Pinellas that you know about for kayak diving? Thanks!!

Greg,

A lot depends on your comfort with long paddling distances. There's very little close by.
For example, Fort Dade on Egmont in the first WWC link above. It's a lot closer than any of the Pinellas Cty Artificial Reefs except the SK / IMR sites. It has the added safety factor of the island, but the down side is you have to cross the Egmont Channel.

I've included quite a lot of information here: Wild West Coast of Florida and I'm adding more when I get time.

Other than that I'd suggest Google Earth. You can see an amazing amount and the cursor gives you the Lat/Lon.

Because of the shallow depths I just freedive, it keeps things simpler and much lighter than scuba.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom