Snorkeling in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Fellow Divers. My wife, daughter (7 years old), and I will be joining the ScubaBoard Invasion Cozumel this coming weekend. Neither my wife nor daughter are scuba divers, so they will enjoy the pool and beach while I am out diving in the morning. However, both of them (especially my daughter) loves fish and water. My daughter been swimming since she was 6 months, swims everyday during the summer, and does competitive swimming. However, she has never been in the ocean. I promised my daughter some snorkeling excursions. We will snorkel off the shore by the hotel. I also am thinking of taking her to the Chankanaab Park to swim with the dolphins. Are there any snorkeling places or operation (free or paid) that you would recommend? Any other activities that you think would be fun for a 7 year old?

Just some links for my future reference:

Hello Fellow Divers. My wife, daughter (7 years old), and I will be joining the ScubaBoard Invasion Cozumel this coming weekend. Neither my wife nor daughter are scuba divers, so they will enjoy the pool and beach while I am out diving in the morning. However, both of them (especially my daughter) loves fish and water. My daughter been swimming since she was 6 months, swims everyday during the summer, and does competitive swimming. However, she has never been in the ocean. I promised my daughter some snorkeling excursions. We will snorkel off the shore by the hotel. I also am thinking of taking her to the Chankanaab Park to swim with the dolphins. Are there any snorkeling places or operation (free or paid) that you would recommend? Any other activities that you think would be fun for a 7 year old?

Just some links for my future reference:

I see Cielo mentioned a lot. Cielo is an area of flat sand where the water gets deeper very gradually; 100 yards offshore it is only chest deep. There are a bunch of large starfish in some areas and there are a few stingrays swimming around, but there's not any coral there that I have ever seen. It's more of a party location than a snorkeling spot.

We've done this snorkel tour 2 or 3 times and enjoyed it (2 reefs plus El Cielo): Cozumel Snorkeling Tour | Best Snorkeling in Cozumel to 3 Best Reefs & El Cielo

We've also used this website multiple times for various activities (a similar snorkel tour, scuba cert., chocolate tour on a rainy day, etc.) and it gives you a good idea of all of the activities you can do on the island (whether or not you book through this site): Create Unforgettable Adventures in Cozumel!

There's some pretty good snorkeling at Chankanaab if you are going there. And also near Money Bar (no admission cost, you just have to buy some food or drink), Buccanos (admission cost, but credited against food/drink bill), and Punta Sur (admission cost, and a fairly long but otherwise easy swim out to a small reef).

The Mayan Ruins at San Gervasio are another interesting activity. Not as big as the ruins on the mainland, but still a decent sized Mayan town with some large structures. Wear good walking shoes (mostly rough unpaved paths), bring water, mosquito repellant, and sunscreen. You can do a self tour or hire a guide there. Note: I do not recommend the ruins at El Cedral south of town, which are only about the size of a 2-car garage and surrounded by tourist trap shops charging higher prices than gift shops in town.

As far as other water activities, I believe 8 is the minimum age for snuba or sea trek, but you may want to check with the operators of those to confirm. Another possibility is the Atlantis Submarine, which is a bit pricey but allows kids 4 and up I believe.

Cielo.

Please do not give money to the dolphin places. It is a cruel and unnatural practice to keep dolphins captive in their pen and inundate them with sunscreen slathered cruisers. Maybe explain to her instead the moral and ethical implications of such a place and why you won't support them. Same goes for SeaWorld.

Funny, though. I have no problem with aquaria because fish are generally stupid and most by now are captive bred. Yes, I am a man of duality and a nebulous nature. Quite the conundrum. But seriously, don't support the dolphin places. Please.

Back
Top Bottom