Snorkeling Gear for Speedy Pool Laps Less C02 Poisoning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huffnpuff

New
Reaction score
Just got over a bout of C02 poisoning, probably due to the inefficiency of a US Divers dry snorkel. Felt extremely dizzy, nauseous. Certain that this is the case, because I went running on the track, and no such problems. You do not want C02 poisoning.
I really pour it on every fifth lap in the pool, for a total of 35 laps (1 mile in the local Y's pool) Used to do three, am working back towards that goal. Anybody have experience with Aqualung's Impulse 2 snorkel? Is this a dry snorkel? Will it efficiently purge C02?
How about the Aqualung Hot Shot fins for speed?

If I were swimming like that I'd not use a snorkel. There's a reason you don't see Olympic swimmers using snorkels. Any snorkel is going to have dead air space. A smaller bore diminishes that but will have higher work of breathing, a shorter tube will diminish it but will be more likely to gain water or shut off to prevent gaining water.

But you are right, co2 buildup is terrible, never a fun day!

I completely submerge my snorkel every other lap. Haven't had any issues.

Freedivers NEVER use the dry snorkels...they are really for people that don't do much with snorkels or swimming....

If you go to a good freedive store, you will find many very wide bore simple j shaped snorkels, that will ventilate much better than the dry snorkel--will get ride of CO2 much more effectively with much less dead space.

If you are doing sprints and intervals, I would agree with jahjawarrior, that you won't want any deadspace at all.....you can always spit the snorkel out of your mouth for sprints and intervals, and just use it for the long rest periods or easy paced swimming.....

When we freedive, the idea is to get your heart rate down pretty low, so not very similar to what you are doing....not to mention that most freedivers spit their snorkels before any big drop has begun. If you just did 2 or 3 minutes at 60 feet...when you come up you would like breathing alot more with no snorkel in the first 15 seconds of surfacing, especially if you pushed it on the dive and really need air bad....but while resting and easy kicking before the next drop, the wide bore snorkel is great.

Try one of these :
Omer Breathless Emotions
slalom_head01.jpg

Actually, swimmers do use snorkels in training. Swimmer's Snorkel | FINIS

So it is possible to swim with them, but as danvolker said, go for a simple design that doesn't restrict the air flow (smooth, no valves...) and wide. Also and especially because you are swimming on a pool, you can choose a short snorkel, meaning less dead space. Still, you will have some, so adjust your breathing and breath a bit deeper than normal to move that extra air.

every body's right snorkels with bad things on top restrict air flow get a good free dive snorkel learn to use a snorkel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom