Snorkelers yanking on coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljpm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just came across this video. Family snorkeling in Roatan. Picking up sea cucumber, conch. Also, at about 1:30 someone is yanking on a piece of coral and drags it across the bottom.
:banghead::rant:

Reactions: Doc
No gloves, so there is always the possibility of a scrape or sting type lesson. Hopefully they learn the less painful way about not touching coral.

they probably left their garbage all over the beach as well, such is the way of the central american when vacationing

Look at the other four or so YouTube videos that the same guy posted. No surprises.

I'm seeing a very well-off family (traveling, wake boarding, doing upscale things, playing the newest hip drinking/bar game- all with a video camera) apparently from the general geographic region. Acting with disregard for the environment with all that taken into account has been my experience with that regional socioeconomic group. Just my experience. Look at what is happening to Roatan.

They are not evil or aware-intentional, it's just an educational cultural thing.

I say this because they don't seem to be specifically dive/snorkel visitors. Kids that show up from the US/Canada have come from educational backgrounds where they have heard the ongoing drumbeat of "don't touch Mother Nature".

There are dive ops on Roatan that proudly post many dive videos of their customers who are doing much worse and more often. One on West End puts up one or more each week, Pretty ugly if you have a basic critical eye.

Teach your children well.

Unfortunately, I dont believe its a "cultural" thing. Having travelled throughout the world, all types of beaches including ones that can only be accessed by boat, I can tell you that 90% of the times it is North Americans who show the most disregard for nature. This is my experience and yes, its sad because i've seen it by "experienced" divers too. Grabbing coral in Vanuatu, braking an 8 inch piece off, taking a pic, then throwing it to the bottom of the ocean. I see this all to ofen and its the same type of people leaving trash on beaches.

I think it just comes down to education, as was mentioned, and divers who take it seriously are more educated about this kind of stuff. I dont think its anything to do with cultural or race.

It is a cultural thing, just not in a racial or national sense. They are culture in a biological sense of the word.

... I can tell you that 90% of the times it is North Americans who show the most disregard for nature. This is my experience ...

May be yours but certainly not mine. Diving Bonaire it's mostly Dutch and Germans. The DM's ignore it and say nothing. I doubt that a single country can be singled out. Where ever most of the boat divers come from will be the main abusers.

My experience tells me that it's inexperienced and newly minted divers and divers with GoPro's and selfie sticks, and yes, even with high end photo rigs. Some have shite for buoyancy control and situational awareness. Some just think their pleasure/photo/video is more important than the reef.

I think it is much more a state of mind, a lack of education and a lack of an ethical "care" gene or something similar. Drive down any highway in and country on any continent, and you see litter. Go to any country and you see vandalism. I like fishing yet get so frustrated with other fisher-folk for the garbage they leave, for illegal catches, for not treating the environment with respect. I used to hunt (on land.) I again witnessed cruel behavior, people shooting a doe but they didn't have a doe permit, so they just let it lay there and die. I have seen people shoot beautiful bucks only to take the head for mounting. I have seen people shoot all sorts of animals, not for food, but for the "thrill" of killing something.

Killing coral or a sea cucumber, a starfish, or anything without a purpose (hunting for food, life preservation, preserving reefs, invasive species, legitimate scientific study, etc.) is nothing short of immoral, unethical behavior that should get you banned from doing that behavior (or having the access to do that behavior) again.

I was on a Bahamas snorkel boat in which a woman had brought back a "decor" sea fan over the objections of the guide, and laid it on boat deck to dry. Although it was too late to save its life, I still slid my fin under it and flipped it over the side of the boat on the ride back.

Unfortunately, I dont believe its a "cultural" thing. Having travelled throughout the world, all types of beaches including ones that can only be accessed by boat, I can tell you that 90% of the times it is North Americans who show the most disregard for nature.

I guess you haven't been diving in areas frequented by mainland Chinese or Koreans. Many of them interact horrendously with critters. Of course I know others of such origins who are very well versed in being careful with the critters.

Back
Top Bottom