Snorkel vest for SCUBA...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, I'm tired (literally) of fighting my BP/W which constantly tries to float me face down on the surface; had the same issue with the wrap-around jacket style before this. I'm thinking of trying a snorkel vest to add a few extra pounds of buoyancy in the front; this is for surface only. (This will be worn with the BP/W; not trying to reinvent the horse collar.) Too, figure in the outside chance I ever need to ditch, I'll have aux flotation.

So, does anyone have any experience with a decent priced SCUBA quality snorkel vest they could recommend? There seems to be no shortage of them in varying degrees. I feel like a horse collar would be overkill but am open to suggestions.

thanks

Good luck in your search.

Floating on the surface in a BP&W is easy in steel doubles in fresh water.

Floating on the surface in a BP&W with an AL80 in the ocean is somewhat more difficult, and I imagine this is where you're having problems. It also depends somewhat on the size and shape of the wing.

These differences are why tech divers have difficulty empathizing with non-tech divers running into this problem.

Things to consider:
  1. You have to use a crotch strap, and it has to be reasonably snug.
  2. Skill wise, you do have to be intentional about leaning back into a semi-reclining position.
  3. If you have an oversized wing, change it.
  4. Experiment with different amounts of air in the wing.
  5. Be sure you don't have too much lead.
  6. Relocate lead further back, if possible and if doing so doesn't make your trim worse.

"Skill wise, you do have to be intentional about leaning back into a semi-reclining position." This is the issue. It requires effort to float safely on the surface.

Al80 single; fresh water.
Snug crotch strap.
Either 60lb bladder, Al back plate
Weights are attached to shoulder straps at top of the back plate.
No lead in fresh water except trim; 3mil wet suit.

:)

I'm certainly no expert diver, but I don't have much of problem. i use a crotch strap, and I keep minimal air in my BCD before descending and after ascending, as I use minimal weight, so am already somewhat buoyant at the surface. So I guess I would suggest using a crotch strap and not overinflating your BCD on the surface.

Al80 single

60lb bladder, Al back plate

That is a LOT of ballast for a single tank. Generally these are used for doubles. If you are fully inflating at the surface, there is no wonder why you are experiencing a face forward push.

Try to inflate a lot less, and see if that helps. Leaning back should be very comfortable.

I dive a 30# wing in drysuit and thermals. I would think a 60# wing might be your problem in your current configuration (single tank, 3mm wetsuit). (Is it even a single tank wing?). Instead of adding more gear like a snorkel vest (and money to buy this gear), consider borrowing a smaller wing and try that out first. Your might be in line for a 15# to 20# wing.

No lead in fresh water except trim; 3mil wet suit.
You're using too much air on the surface. Just enough to poke your head out of the water. The 60 pound bladder is fine if it doesn't taco.

^ +1 A back inflate or a Wing will not float you the same way that a jacket BC will. They aren't made to do that. It is best to assume the position of a Sea Otter, and lounge on your back.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom