Snorkel use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Who uses their snorkel? :)

Just kidding! I'm actually going snorkeling tomorrow at a local in-city lake since the weather is so nice and hot it's actually a reasonable thing to do. Not much to see I'm sure but living in the PNW and being able to snorkel without any exposure protection is a rare thing!

I'm just curious how many of you are able (and interested) to do some snorkeling outside of tropical and semi-tropical locations?

The water's pretty cold around Victoria most of the time, but this summer, the weather's been ridiculously warm. Today the air temperature was about 28-29 degrees Celsius (83 degrees Fahrenheit), and my friend went swimming in his swim shorts. He said the water temperature was pretty cold, but not that uncomfortable. According to my dive computer, the surface water temperature has been around 15-18 degrees Celsius (69-64 degrees Fahrenheit), so decent enough for a quick swim.

As for snorkel, I don't use it anymore, but there has been one extremely wavy time that I wish that it was attached to my mask. I now keep it in the bag and attach it if the surge/waves are pretty high.

I snorkel once in a while at jetties when we snowbird on the Gulf. Here in NS I have done it at the warmest time of year (water 60F). But nothing much to see and I've scuba dived the spot a lot anyway, so I don't snorkel much at all. Not to at all get back to the old snorkel debate, but I must admit I recently changed my stance a bit. I have decided not to use a snorkel when towing a dive flag-- it really does get in the way. Otherwise, I'll continue to use it.

Sadly I just don't find the time anymore. If it's nice and I lack a buddy I'll go solo.

Prior to getting certified and subsequently solo worthy (by my own measure). I enjoyed as many as 100+ skin-dives a year here in Maine. Following an ocean or freshwater coastline where the bottom is in view or crossing to an island or ledge was great fun. It's also some of the greatest scuba training you can get. Fin propulsion control, sustained oral breathing and the deep breathing you NEED to survive on a snorkel will serve you will when you strap a cylinder on. The times I have gone back to skin-diving I reveled in the simplicity of it all.

Focus on small life in shallow water and you should be amazed. If you start duck diving alone be very conservative. Please search and read up on shallow water blackout if the term is new to you.

For what it's worth it also accompanies me on all OW scuba dives.

Pete

Last edited:
I snorkel with my kids in the lake while camping. I retrieve my lost fishing tackle and some that others have lost.

I had to wait for my buddy at the quarry when he was getting his tank filled so I snorkeled for a bit.

Snorkeling is an excellent way to practice airway control.

I bring one on every ocean dive. It is folded up in a thigh pocket with my safety sausage, compass and gloves. Since I go back and forth between ocean and springs I just make sure I have my thigh pocket when I am going to the ocean.

I did a lot of snorkeling during my non scuba years. Good exercise and very freeing. If I want to snorkel with my kids between dives I can ditch 6 lbs and am perfect boyancy for snorkeling in my wetsuit. I too have had enough of the snorkel wars...

So, did you see anything in Green Lake?

I brought my snorkel with me on vacation hoping to snorkel with my kids. Neither ther 7 or 9 yr olds wanted to snorkel. It stayed in my dive bag the whole trip.

I had two roll up snorkels to go in BC pocket just in case. I put one in my own BC pocket and on in my daughter's rental BC pocket. Despite reminding her not to forget her snorkel of course she did. She then says she doesn't like snorkels anyways and prefers not to have one. I'm so proud of her!

Back
Top Bottom