Snorkel Siladen (loved Wakatobi)? How is Bunaken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishCity

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello again. We are avid snorkelers, cannot dive for medical reasons.
We loved our September 2017 trip to Wakatobi Resort and have been interested in Raja Ampat (I have a thread going on that, too).

But we are in our late 60s and not experienced adventure travelers and frankly the getting there looks daunting...Wakatobi was ideal. I have 2 knee replacements and some chronic medical issues such that copious drinking/toothbrushing water supply and food safety are crucial. Wakatobi went far above and beyond and worked with us.

I ran across Bunaken National Marine Park...looked interesting. I know it is not Raja Ampat, but it is in the Coral Triangle. For an avid shallow water person who is not a photographer, would we see many differences such that we will rue not going to RA instead?

Has anyone been to Siladen since the new management? Reactions?

What time of year would be best? We were thinking September-ish

Any feedback or advice happily and gratefully received.

would we see many differences such that we will rue not going to RA instead?
I know you won't like that answer but the truth is a big "Yes, you would see many differences".
There is nothing like Raja Ampat in terms of fish density and variety
Really.

Bunaken is about walls, you get tired of walls after 3 or 4 dives.
I would suggest Bangka topography is more interesting as a combination of shallow corals slopes, pinnacles and walls.

Have you tried Sipadan? Personally I think it's one of the best site you can snorkel, it may be walls too but with lots of shallow fish schools, sharks, etc. and little or safe drift.

I really think that Weda Bay offers among the best and easiest snorkeling in the world.

Bunaken is about walls

I second this. Most of the island is surrounded by deep walls. Add to this rubbish that quite often float around Bunaken. Hence I'd say that Bunaken is not the ideal snorkeling place. That doesn't mean of course that snorkeling there is not nice, but I would try to find somewhere better...

Thank you all. We will look elsewhere for the next trip.

+1 (meaning -1) for snorkeling Bunaken, due to the trash on the surface and the walls.

Have you tried Misool Resort? It is an AWESOME place for snorkeling. Maybe we already talked about this and you decided that it was too far. You are really missing something, I tell you true. We are in our 60's as well, (well into them :) ) and we are also not adventure travelers. I'm sure you will find the staff there VERY happy to support all your needs. Very pricey though.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom