Snorkel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lommnb

Reaction score
Hi guys

I need some help, it has been a long time. (Insert Rip van Winkle comment here.)

In the olden days, when snorkeling, we used to have a snorkel with a little "cage" at the top of the tube with a ball in it. So when you went underwater, the tube sealed off and no water entered the tube.

I read on Wikipedia that those are now considered unsafe and are no longer manufactured. Now I don't know how that can be more unsafe than getting a lungful of water if one accidentally breathe in before purging the tube of water, but I guess that is a learned skill.

My question really is where can I find a definitive description of current snorkels and snorkeling techniques? I see terms such as "wet" and "dry" but I can't figure it out.

Also, are there any snorkels suitable for a 10-yo that have a cut-off in the tube so the tube does not fill with water or is this now always considered unsafe?

I read something about Kadence Snorkels, but they are a lot more expensive. Do they meed this requirement?

As you can see, I probably haven't been snorkeling for nigh on 20 years, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The ping pong ball was "great, ahem" you're half way through a breath
and a huge ripple from a fish or the wind or your mates piffing stones
in the water three miles away and your air would switch off unexpectedly.

And it may have been a foot and a half long or maybe my head was smaller
then.

But, after your first couple of lungfuls you tend to stop with the lungfuls
because with practice you can feel the water coming straight away and
with practice your head depth, snorkel angle. and prevailing conditions
will be known.

Anyway today with valves and things most important is mouthpiece fit.

Higher end stuff has different size detachable replaceable mouthpieces.

Buy a book and go to the snorkeling forum.

And remember, no water, no air.

http://www.scuba-snorkeling-adventures.com/how-to-snorkel.html

Last edited:
I have not seen a ping pong ball snorkel actually for sale outside of vintage collector circles in like nearly or actually more than 45 years. You must be like 90 yo? In fact, I have never seen one for sale in an actual dive store as opposed to the Five and Dime, even in the nearly olden times before tongue rings and digital circuits.

N

Feel 110 today after mowing the lawn's.

Late 1960s on the display tables with the sides so the stuff doesn't fall off

COLES Department Stores, yeah five and dime.

Pretty good flexible plastic compound, for back then flexible plastic compound
but not much good for sealing a mask.

We are definitely spoilt today.

Semi-dry, Dry, and simple J-tube.

Dry snorkel completely closes off when submerging. It may have lower purge valves to allow water to drain from lower tube and top divertor to prevent water from entering tube. Not recommended. May close off too often and interfere with breathing.

Simple J-tube snorkel is just that ... mouthpiece and a tube.

Semi-dry snorkel may have top divertor and lower purge valves, but does not close off when submerging.

Go to Leisurepro website for snorkels. Check Aqua Lung Impulse 3 and TUSA Platina II.

I had one of the tech masks when I was a kid, those were the ones with dual snorkels for redundancy

Costco, Sams Club, Walmart, Sports stores have snorkel kits for children in 3 sizes. Most important is fit of mask. A 10 year old can figure out how to breath underwater easily with a J-tube in a swimming pool with friends. Then use those skills in the ocean. The snorkel in the kits may be semi-dry or dry.

I had one of the tech masks when I was a kid, those were the ones with dual snorkels for redundancy

They're still made in Greece:
Majorca Sub 107S Snorkel Mask
03-004.jpg

MAJORCA SUB
Eurobalco Snorkel Mask
euro.jpg

There's a thread about such masks on the Medfish forum at

Mediterranean Fishing • View topic - EUROBALCO - Help from Greece?

where the masks are being considered for use by a minority of surface and near-surface snorkellers who experience a gag reflex when inserting a mouthpiece into their mouths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom