Snorkel Mask PPE Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The news is currently reporting these as "scuba equipment" being used to combat Covid-19...

Pneumask by Stanford (doesn't really help that it's posted on April 1st)

Ocean Reef's version
COVID-19 | OCEAN REEF Group

Maybe this is a better use for these types of masks? But wasn't a possible problem CO2 build-up?

The news is currently reporting these as "scuba equipment" being used to combat Covid-19...

Pneumask by Stanford (doesn't really help that it's posted on April 1st)

Ocean Reef's version
COVID-19 | OCEAN REEF Group

Maybe this is a better use for these types of masks? But wasn't a possible problem CO2 build-up?

O2 is being pumped into the mask. Patients O2 levels are being monitored in real time. This brand of mask never had the CO2 issue. They've removed the snorkel and replaced with a custom adapter for O2 and aspiration. Where is the problem?

The CO2 build up problem you've mentioned affected the common full face snorkel masks you would see almost everyone using while vacationing, more specifically the cheap knock offs like this -
PSI-Full-Face-Snorkeling-Mask-Phuket-Dive-Tours.jpg

Ocean Reef has the adapters for their masks (40mm gas-mask thread & 22mm respiratory filter push in) now available as a production product for their "Aria" series snorkel masks.

Ocean Reef APA - Aria Protection Adaptor
I see a potential problem with this adapter, other than the disclaimer of the filters (not provided, by he way, as this is simply an adapter).

Most half-face and full-face respirators have separate routes for inhalation and exhalation. You inhale through the filter, and exhale through an exhalation valve in a separate location. The filter is protected from exhalations by a non-return mushroom valve. That way, the filter does not have to cope with water vapor affecting the filter.

But with this adapter, the exhalation goes back through the filter, backwards. The filter is subjected to water vapor, which can the condense on the filter, soaking the filter with water. I don't think this is a good idea. If the filter is a HEPA filter (high efficiency particulate air filter) being soaked in water can inhibit its efficiency, and make for hard breathing. If it includes a organic vapor cartridge, which has activated carbon, the water vapor could cause the filter to loose its ability to absorb organic vapors.

One further cause for concern is that this system is not tested by NIOSH (the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health), and has not received a technical certification number ("TC Number) from them. It therefore cannot legally be used as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Although these rules have been loosened because of shortages of PPE, I would not rely upon this adapter to function as PPE for me or my loved ones.

I now have a much better idea of the mask, it's design, and it's modification after one of our members updated me. I would now endorse this mask with the filter system as a better alternative than either cloth or surgical masks.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP(retired), CIH(2006-2018), MSPH

I see a potential problem with this adapter, other than the disclaimer of the filters (not provided, by he way, as this is simply an adapter).

Most half-face and full-face respirators have separate routes for inhalation and exhalation. You inhale through the filter, and exhale through an exhalation valve in a separate location. The filter is protected from exhalations by a non-return mushroom valve. That way, the filter does not have to cope with water vapor affecting the filter.

But with this adapter, the exhalation goes back through the filter, backwards. The filter is subjected to water vapor, which can the condense on the filter, soaking the filter with water. I don't think this is a good idea. If the filter is a HEPA filter (high efficiency particulate air filter) being soaked in water can inhibit its efficiency, and make for hard breathing. If it includes a organic vapor cartridge, which has activated carbon, the water vapor could cause the filter to loose its ability to absorb organic vapors.

One further cause for concern is that this system is not tested by NIOSH (the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health), and has not received a technical certification number ("TC Number) from them. It therefore cannot legally be used as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Although these rules have been loosened because of shortages of PPE, I would not rely upon this adapter to frunction as PPE for me or my loved ones.

SeaRat
John C. Ratliff, CSP(retired), CIH(2006-2018), MSPH

These snorkel FFMs have sealed nose and mouth compartments with 2 mushroom one-way valves to allow air to pass only from the snorkel and eye chamber into the nose/mouth chamber and not the other way. Exhalation is through a third mushroom valve in the front.

Your concern is real though because earlier designs of these FFMs allowed CO2 to build up inside the mask because of poorly designed airflows which allowed air to flow back and forth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom