Snorkel for Physical Therapy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveTheGalapagos

Contributor
Reaction score
1 year ago, I had an accident (ankle/leg surgery) and have basically been in a wheelchair ever since. I can walk a bit. It's not pretty and I can't go any distance (thus the wheelchair). I can climb steps if I'm not carrying too much weight, say more than a couple of bags of groceries. Haven't tried this without a rail. I'm finally to the point of where I can snorkel in the pool without that hurting my ankle too much.

So, I have decided what I need is to go somewhere I can snorkel 2-3 hours a day in very calm water with enough to keep it from being nothing but white sand boring. This is not about 'great snorkeling' so much as physical therapy. It's not about a white sand beach and turquoise water at all.

I have an affinity for Cozumel though I haven't been there in almost 20 yrs, so am sure it would be culture shock. I also looked at Akumal, Hawaii, Roatan, Puerto Rico, Riviera Beach, FL. Previously, my idea of snorkeling has been Galapagos or Silver Bank with the humpbacks. I know nothing about the type of water I'm looking for now.

I am on a budget as I'd like to stay at least 3 weeks. Need good wi-fi & Netflix. I want to make coffee in the morning in my French press and do take milk so need a mini-fridge, but not too interested in cooking. Want shore snorkeling as the price of getting in a boat daily would end up being cost prohibitive. I need a pool, too. It's the best for stretching both heel cords (achilles) and hip flexors, both of which stand in my way due to more than 6 months of being non-weight bearing. The same inactivity means I'm weak now.

Prefer somewhere warm enough to use an ATV rather than a car, but car is ok, too. I can drive, including stick, as long as there is somewhere to park when I get there that doesn't require such a distance I need a wheelchair. I don't yet trust myself on a bike or scooter. A free diver I met from Hawaii, who also went through some serious rehab, recommended a scooter to help. I don't own one (they're illegal in Galapagos) so maybe somewhere with rentals available? This is not mandatory, though does sound like a good idea.

Any recommendations?

Most of the Virgin Islands have properties that would meet your specifications. The specific properties more than entire islands would have to be evaluated.

Riviera Maya (Akumal, Playa, Tulum) would be your best bet. Lots of shallow beach reefs and, if the weather is rough, you could snorkel some awesome cenotes. Plenty of places to stay south of Cancun and cheap. (although, I think i would still rent a cheap car vs driving in Mexico on an atv....)

I dont think you could get bored down there.

We stay at Underworld Tulum when we are cave diving. Lanny and Clair the owners are very nice people. Apartments – Underworld Tulum
Ask for a ground floor condo. Gran Cenote is a very popular place for snorkelers and there are many others. Akumal Beach for turtles. Short drive to town for food.

Riviera Maya (Akumal, Playa, Tulum) would be your best bet. Lots of shallow beach reefs and, if the weather is rough, you could snorkel some awesome cenotes. Plenty of places to stay south of Cancun and cheap. (although, I think i would still rent a cheap car vs driving in Mexico on an atv....)

I dont think you could get bored down there.
What about a pool, netflix and good wi-fi? These were listed as must haves.Great snorkeling was not a requirement, only easily accessible and reasonably interesting in shallow calm water..

What about a pool, netflix and good wi-fi? These were listed as must haves.Great snorkeling was not a requirement, only easily accessible and reasonably interesting in shallow calm water..

I have to keep working, thus the wifi. Not a bar / nightlife person thus the Netflix. I need to keep up my pool physical therapy. I did a lot of research before posting. It's not as easy as it sounds like it should be, right?

https://www.xoc-ha.com/

Have not stayed there, but looks like a cool place, not the Fairmont Mayakoba, but fits your bill.

Thanks, but is there any decent snorkeling in a protected bay on that side? From everything I could find, only Akumal seemed to fit the snorkeling bill on the coast.

XOC, btw, is believed to be the origin of the word shark in English. I love diving with sharks, but snorkeling with bull sharks is not on the agenda.

There are somewhat protected "bays" up and down the coast just like Akumal. Check out Google earth.

I wanted to follow up on this post. I ended up in Florida. I snorkel the Blue Heron Bridge daily. It is amazing! No wonder everyone loves it. It is absolutely perfect for what I was looking for: Protected bay without much current. Easy shore access. Internet & restaurants,. And my best friend was already here as her life revolves around her horse (Wellington). Though where I am staying has a pool, I don't need it as I can do all the stretching during my snorkel sessions. I guess, technically, it's the Intracoastal Waterway / Lake Worth Lagoon.

I love this place. I'm ready to move here and use the Blue Heron Bridge as my gym. Access is so easy. You park and the water is less than 100 ft away. The snorkel 'trail' makes it easy to be mindless, easy to just relax and snorkel. Inside the round buoys, I can swim. There are fresh water showers to rinse off after you get out of the water. There are restrooms. There are even lifeguards on duty.

And the marine life is so good! Rays, nurse shark, schools of large parrotfish, sea robins, sheephead, jacks, barracuda, half beaks, angelfish, starfish, the schools of surgeon fish and silver sides and lots of other reef fish. I love watching the behavior of the small long arm octopus...see them every day. I've loved watching behavior of a lot of the marine life here. Don't know what the tiny fish are with bright yellow on top and silver sides with a stripe, but it's been fun to watch them clean barracuda. I read there are over 300 species here.

Best of all, this place is like a magical marine nursery! The tiny little puffer fish. I will never forget a tiny black batfish in about 5 ft of water maybe 15 ft from the shoreline. It may have been the cutest thing I've ever seen in the water. Someone should start a stuffed animal collection of the crazy cute things you can see here.

Lots of divers daily. #BlueHeronBridge is an awesome site!

Back
Top Bottom