Snootie Patootie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've never tried to use a snoot for macro photography before. I secretly purchased two snoots, one for me and one for Merry without telling her. I planned for us each to get some award-winning photos today but the conditions and learning curve were tougher than expected.

We had twenty feet visibility at the barge off Redondo Beach but I couldn't get light and my subjects. I came away with only two photos that were lit poorly. The rest were black. Because I had snoots and a macro setup, naturally a six foot Giant Sea Bass cruised right past me.

We looked for a site to make a second dive but the plankton was making the water a milky green everywhere. We settled on Kevin's Reef where we found three feet visibility. Merry aborted the dive but I stuck it out hoping to figure out the snoots. I had a little more luck, but the poor vis made it difficult to find subjects and see where my lights were pointing. Back to the drawing board.

30748505207_077eb0ec06_o.jpg

30748505587_745e7cc7c7_o.jpg

44774802085_97327c1b71_o.jpg

31816794268_e8047040d5_o.jpg

31816794628_9fcee28c5c_o.jpg

31816795978_3f377a0b0e_o.jpg

31816796758_25d1db87db_o.jpg

31816798178_7b4e38ab9f_o.jpg

Fiber optic cables that fit over strobes. It allows me to narrow the beam of light and point it in places I couldn't fit a strobe. It was difficult to get them pointed right where I wanted them. Several times I would take a shot with my lens six inches from a subject but the lights were somewhere out of the frame. Other times I got them where I wanted them but they were too bright. I would turn the strobe down only to lose the light again. I'll get better.
Fiber%20Optic%20Micro%20Snoot%20-%20Ikelite.jpg

reefnet.jpg

I have to agree with @RyanT! If those are failures, your successes must be in the next issue of Nat Geo. Great shots!

Fiber optic cables that fit over strobes.

I assumed they were just simple fittings over the front of the strobe to narrow the light source. These are the coolest things I've seen in a long time! Looking forward to seeing what else comes out of this Max!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom