Snoot with or without diffuser?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vigfus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

A friend has bought a 3D printer and we're gonna print snoots for my YS-D1 strobes. I've only seen snoots without diffusers and I'm wondering why? I was thinking if you trade power (guide number) for softer light it doesn't sound that bad since the YS-D1 is quite powerful. Am I missing something in the equation? If I were to create the base of the snoot bigger to cover the strobe with the diffuser, could that cause the light to bounce so much that I won't get a proper snoot effect due to the angle of the light leaving the snoot?

Best Regards,
Vigfus

Not sure how small in diameter or how long you intend to make the snoots, but I've found that I have to back off quite a few f-stops. I am using various diameters of PVC pipe - 6 to 8" in length; 3/8 to 3/4" in diameter. I think a diffuser would cut light output even further. I've been using them on Ike DS-125s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom