Snoot my focus light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I understand the snoot adaptation from surface photographers as they adapt them to their strobes...

Underwater, we commonly use a focus light for pre-lighting and macro lighting...

Are there reasons not to design a removable snoot for my focus light?

I can think of many advantages to having a dual snoot hookup on the focus light. The biggest advantage I can think of is lighting setup can be done without having to make a test shot of the subject.

I am looking for your thoughts and insights to why/why not create a "snoot shoe" for a focus light?

Thanks,
Jim

Why not?
"Normal" focus lights have a limited light output confronting it with a strobe,
but with some engeneering like mirrored inside of the snoot-head and fibre optic cable as snoot it may work.

Chris

Here's a photo I took about two years ago, using only a focus light. The focus light was supposed to turn off when the flash fired, but I had turned off the flash, so that ended up the only lighting. Although it was an accident, I kind of like the result, and it gives you an idea of what is possible with narrow-beam lighting:

2857528647_58e0a6411f_b.jpg

I think the main drawback to a snooted focus light would be that it could frighten some critters, while the flash might be quick enough to let you get the shot without scaring them away.

I don't think the question is why not, but rather why? In general, I think that the focus light is MEANT to be aimed at the subject, while the strobes are quite often not aimed directly (at least for un-snooted strobes) at the subject at all. Focus lights are there to give your camera enough light to detect either an edge or some change in density of the scene to focus on, and in general the more light you have the easier it is to get the camera to focus.
Bill

I don't think the question is why not, but rather why? In general, I think that the focus light is MEANT to be aimed at the subject, while the strobes are quite often not aimed directly (at least for un-snooted strobes) at the subject at all. Focus lights are there to give your camera enough light to detect either an edge or some change in density of the scene to focus on, and in general the more light you have the easier it is to get the camera to focus.
Bill
That is technically correct. Now, if one is to use fiber optic lines that will create a spot of light on the subject it can be setup and aligned without having to shoot a number of images to get the snoot from the strobe right where the underwater photographer wants the lighting. This would easily provide enough light for the camera find an edge and focus.

I currently use my focus light and a DIY diffuser to shoot macro. I shoot in daylight settings for the camera and no strobe.

This was shot with a SeaLife DC600 on a night dive, focus light diffused, camera settings of daylight no strobe or flash:

sailfinblenny0912122.jpg

This image was shot on the same dive with the same settings
yellowseahorse0912124.jpg

Both shots pushed the very limits of the SeaLife camera, but both were shot without strobe/flash and I was able to set them up with focus light and diffuser.

If I create the shoe for a focus light and use 5mm or 10mm fiber optic cable there should be enough light to focus the camera and yet offer a more sultry subject even in daylight

CoolTech,
don't get me wrong with my text below and please understand it as positive critique.

The fotos you made are really nice but i "see" some lack uf saturation? or maybe definition? in them due (i guess) the low light output of the focus/dive light. You may can take some test picture next time using the focus light and the stobe to verify that. As soon as i am back in Sardinia having better viz than here i will do a test as well.

Yes, the flashlightsnoot may be scaring away some creatures and some voices around the red Sea are claiming that
fishes become blind because of the frequently flashes from underwater photographer.
A flashlightsnoot may make the problem even worster because their eyes be longer exposed to the light.

The flashlightsnoot on the coldshoe connector will produce ugly backscatter if the water is not perfectly clear.
I rather would suggest to build a holder for your strobe arm in order that you can move it where you want and need it.

Chris

CoolTech,
don't get me wrong with my text below and please understand it as positive critique.

The fotos you made are really nice but i "see" some lack uf saturation? or maybe definition? in them due (i guess) the low light output of the focus/dive light. You may can take some test picture next time using the focus light and the stobe to verify that. As soon as i am back in Sardinia having better viz than here i will do a test as well.

Yes, the flashlightsnoot may be scaring away some creatures and some voices around the red Sea are claiming that
fishes become blind because of the frequently flashes from underwater photographer.
A flashlightsnoot may make the problem even worster because their eyes be longer exposed to the light.

The flashlightsnoot on the coldshoe connector will produce ugly backscatter if the water is not perfectly clear.
I rather would suggest to build a holder for your strobe arm in order that you can move it where you want and need it.

Chris
I agree the shots are lacking. They were shot with a beginner p&s camera. They are actually out of focus. A SeaLife rep told me the camera shouldn't be able to take those pictures.

I have since upgraded my setup to a better camera and housing and added some lenses to the lineup.

I can't speak to the fishes becoming blind because of frequent flashes from strobes, but it certainly sounds odd (unless they are taking people to the same place every time to take the same pictures over and over of the same subject)

Hmm, I will have to see how the backscatter issue would effect the focus snoot. As I am imagining the snoot design in my head, it seems more along the lines of the image shot by davelew, but with ability to direct the light to where ever the photographer desires

Back
Top Bottom