Snake River Prototyping tray - question about using with a tri-pod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Question for folks out there who are using SRP trays along with a dual light set-up.

Are you using a tripod...and if so which one?

Curious, since the SRP tray is relatively heavy.

This is my set-up.

Snake%20River%201-XL.jpg

Thanks.

Chris

No tripod... but why would you want to use a tripod?

To get cinema-like stability. I love using a tripod. It's an art all unto itself. Very hard to get things framed well and requires a lot more editing (I might let it run in place 5-10 minutes to get a 30 second clip) but the results are awesome. You are a bit limited in types of shots because you need a subject that tends to stay in one area and you need a suitable place (sandy bottom) to set up.

You can always given them a call or an e-mail and ask what they suggest. They have excellent customer service.

Good idea. When I first bought the tray back in September I contacted them with an issue.....they responded lightning fast (they called me in less than 1 hour after I sent an email); perhaps one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had. And they didn't even sell it to me directly (bought through B&H Photo in NYC).

Joby Gorillapod SLR

This is what I have, and haven't dove it yet, but you'll have to be stationary for a while to "Set up"., meanwhile other divers would be drifting away. Or dive buddy hanging with you for 5 minutes to get that perfect shot. I'm always the last one in the pack anyways, getting twin strobes positioned takes work too!

It's hard to bend the legs down flat enough, but perched up, it's rock stable as the tripod supports 1.75 pounds. Those SRP trays are heavy, and bulky so now you've got quite a kit you're carrying.

And Macromate lenses need to get 5-6" away, so macro is out. I do carry 3 lenses with me as the SRP tray you can add additional lens/filter clip mounts. all Billet alum. SRP is gorgeous stuff but even for luggage weight 50 pound limit it adds up fast.

So here is my rig, with twin SOLA 2000's shining down on a R/C helicopter canopy. (ala my test coral shot)

With a tripod, a +4 diopter would be perfect, or maybe a +10. as I said, I haven't dove it yet so YMMV.

Attachments

• sola5.jpg
    sola5.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 125
Thanks all for the info/tips

The one advantage of the boomerang tray design is that it will stand on its own as long as the bottom is relatively even....but hard to make this work on a living reef without damaging things

I am going to Indonesia for the first time (Lembeh and Raja Ampat) later this year...trying to decide if tripod worth the hassle

actually.. i just put the two handle down on the sea bed.. then turn the gopro to face where i want.. the lights will follow...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom