Smb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vioch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What SMB is prefferable for GUE-F? I'm choosing among DAN smb and similar others.

DAn's is about two times cheaper. But DAN offers SMB with oral/power inflator in the middle part of the SMB, while the others have this inflator at the bottom SMB's end. So what are advantages/disadvantages of such inflator location while SMB deployment?

DanSigalTube.jpg
LB1900-450.jpg

You are going to be holding onto the spool as you inflate the SMB, so there is a lot of SMB there to get in the way with the DAN buoy when you are trying to inflate/deploy the buoy. Think about holding the reel and oral inflate with one hand as you are taking the reg out of your mouth with the other hand. Where do you think the extra 18" of bag is going to go?

There are really two options for an SMB:

1. Get a small SMB without much lift. These are very easy to deploy, and you can easily stuff one into a pocket. You can get them pretty fully inflated from depth, so they will easily stand up on the surface. They are big enough to be seen in calm-ish seas, or if the boat crew knows you'll be shooting it. Look for a closed circuit bag around 3' tall, with an OPV, and a 1" D-Ring at the base. The Halcyon 1m marker is popular. These are easier to learn to deploy, and have less of a chance of taking you to the surface when you practice deploying them.
Product catalogue - Halcyon - Halcyion Diver Alert Marker

2. Get a nice tall SMB that can be seen by the boat far away. This is what you want to shoot if you are somewhere the boat is not expecting to see you. They are harder to deploy, and are nearly impossible to fully inflate at depth, so even if you blow it from 70', it will probably not be fully inflated when you get to it at the surface. You want a baffled design that won't spill air on the surface. This is also handy because you can top it off with a freeflow from your reg once you surface. I like the XS Scuba bag for this purpose. I saw a new version at one time which had a oral inflate valve, but it isn't on the DiveSports page any more. I keep this stored at the bottom of my BP:
XS Scuba Surface Marker Buoy - SMB

Tom

PS
There are four ways to inflate an SMB:

1. With your reg by sticking it into the baffle, and hitting the purge button

2. With your exhaust bubbles, by putting the baffle over your exhaust and exhaling

3. With your mouth using an oral inflate mechanism

4. With your power inflator, by pushing it onto some types of oral/power inflators.

2 and 3 are safest where freeflow is a concern.

1 and 3 involve you removing your reg

As stated above, for GUE-F smaller is better. You will have your SMB and your spool, both unloaded in your pocket. Then attach your spool to your SMB and shoot it....then bring it back down if not doing ascent drills.

I LOVE the DSS (Deep Sea Supply) 1 meter SMB. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=85

It is small, easy to carry and deploy. It has a simply and small OPV and it takes less then a breath to inflate. It has only 5 pounds of lift which makes it manageable to bring back down from the surface. It's perfect for GUE-F

I agree different dives = different smbs

You are going to be holding onto the spool as you inflate the SMB, so there is a lot of SMB there to get in the way with the DAN buoy when you are trying to inflate/deploy the buoy. Think about holding the reel and oral inflate with one hand as you are taking the reg out of your mouth with the other hand. Where do you think the extra 18" of bag is going to go?
If you put a very small amount of gas in (any) bag before doing alot of putzing with the clip/spool it will stand up and out of the way. Then unclip, finish filling it, and let it go. Its pretty important to stay in control of the bag and with the big ones its way easier to let a puff of gas do the work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom