SMB: weighted or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, using a LP hose to inflate a sealed SMB runs the risk of over-inflation and bursting the balloon :( There should be an opv valve, but sometimes their isn't or it can't cope.

But if you have a BIG SMB and really like the idea of using a LP hose to fill it, consider having a dedicated LP hose, and remove the clip mechanism on the end so the LP hose doesn't stay attached to the SMB and drag you up during deployment.

If it doesn't have an OPV then it should only be inflated at the surface.......

No SMB will attach in that way. And if you have the faintest idea how to do this then there is no chance of being dragged to the surface. You have more chance with a traditional SMB if I'm honest.

I've never heard of the exploding SMB's. I'm not convinced this is a real problem...

Some of the SMBs with a nozzle to take a LP inflator hose can get clipped to the fitting. It isn't just a simple tube, but they have the recesses for clipping on.

Unfortunately I have witnessed a sealed SMB rupture when overfilled. Tends to happen on the smaller, narrower SMBs which are easily overfilled. It could never happen to an open bottom traditional SMB.

YMMV

@Snoweman it wasn't an insult aimed at you. I can't see from the image but it's possible you don't have an smb which you can use the lpi to inflate (although I've never seen them). If so - get an smb where you can literally just push in your lpi and up it goes. It's the simplest thing going - and it takes all the fuss out of it. It's also nice as it can't deflate on the surface.

Don't worry about being dragged up. They do not attach to the lpi like they do to your bcd.

Halcyon make them - but they are very very expensive. Although they are very good. I'm sure there will be a cheaper generic manufacture around your way. Someone on here can probably advise from the states.

No insult taken.

A really good first SMB, versatile and small to always keep with you and practice with.......get a 50' spool with a SS double ender and your set. Forget the weighted kind.............

this is the link.

The SMB I'm currently using has an inflator plus a bottom inflating option with a baffle to prevent it from leaking air at the surface, and two small lead strips on each side of the bottom self-sealing one way opening that holds it open slightly: you pull the bottom open and the lead strips hold it that way while you exhale into it. I don't think the lead is there to weight the SMB, and pulling on it is sufficient to keep it upright.

This is my take as well on the SMB's with the lead strips. The lead will hold the bottom open to make it easier to fill. I do not think it is enough weight to properly keep the buoy upright.

When launching an SMB from a decent depth to use as an upline, I was taught to fill the smb (open bottom) with vented exhaust from the wing. The idea is that your overall buoyancy doesn't change while you fill it (until you let the smb start to ascend.) You can always adjust your wing inflation after the smb launch has settled down.

I don't see how you'd usually have enough gas in your wing to do that.

This is one of the reasons that there are SMB training classes (PADI, UTD et al). There are so many different SMBs, different techniques and different usages that many divers don't really think about it.

Stuart, there is a nifty device called a qwik shot, I have one on one of my deco regs, super easy to inflate.....

Jesus Christ................another f*&ken course that covers stuff that should have been included with basic training. What's next..... a course on which bootie you put on first? :shakehead:
John

At 99 fsw you only need to fill it 25%.

I do not like the sealed bottom ones. Mine has an open bottom and can be inflated with a regulator (I believe it's called a semi-sealed SMB). It also has an over pressure valve to prevent it bursting from over inflation, as well as an attachment for low pressure inflation.

The opening at the bottom of the SMB is just large enough for me to fit the head of my dive torch into it snugly. As my dive torch has a SOS mode, this allows me to create a SOS light beacon should that ever become nescessary.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom