SMB: weighted or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPRC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am shopping for my first SMB. Many are weighted, others are not. Are the weights truly effective at helping keep the buoy erect at surface while attached to one's line or is the effect negligible and a waste?

I bought an smb that is manual fill (me blowing into a tube). I wish I had bought one that can be filled with my reg, or spare reg. I never gave any thoughts to being weighted, as I would only need to keep tension on my reel. Offering/using it as a PFD, I would prefer no weights. I look forward to the posts from other divers.

Ive been thinking of this "erectile dysfunction" issue as well, and if weighing would help

Id like to add a question to this: How much weight will keep it erect.?

I have an open bottom SMB, pretty big (5') and wide girth (not bragging), and I think I may need a lot of weight. Maybe a smaller SMB would be better?

I used to use a small fishing weight, but I can attach a 1 lb. weight instead.

The weight does nothing IMO. It surely doesn't make the buoy stand up. Mine has the weight and a valve that lets me inflate with my regulator from under or by mouth but the bottom is designed to not let any out. Perhaps the stiff lead helps that valve to function but the other day I filled it about half way at -30' and let it go I am pretty sure it rocketed out of the water, landed on its side and I had to tighten my finger spool and pull it almost 2' under to get it to stand up for the boat to see. When I got to the surface it was fully inflated so the dump valve worked. That is why I bought a 6 footer as only 4' or so is actually visible if you hold down on it while you conduct your safety stop.

Mine is the red one. Good quality, price and works great. Deluxe 72-Inch Cordura Safety Tube

I bought an smb that is manual fill (me blowing into a tube). I wish I had bought one that can be filled with my reg, or spare reg. I never gave any thoughts to being weighted, as I would only need to keep tension on my reel. Offering/using it as a PFD, I would prefer no weights. I look forward to the posts from other divers.

Stop blowing it up orally.

If you use a drysuit pull of the lpi hose and fill it up. If you don't disconnect the lpi from your bcd and fill it up. If you are nice and neutral when you do this then it won't cause you any problems. And even if your buoyancy is a bit dodgy - you can use the smb to hold yourself.

You might not get away with this on some courses with some instructors. But it will make life an awful lot nicer for you generally when diving. Once you start diving in nasty conditions and using big boy smb's then it's what you will have to do anyway.

Stop blowing it up orally.

If you use a drysuit pull of the lpi hose and fill it up. If you don't disconnect the lpi from your bcd and fill it up. If you are nice and neutral when you do this then it won't cause you any problems. And even if your buoyancy is a bit dodgy - you can use the smb to hold yourself.

You might not get away with this on some courses with some instructors. But it will make life an awful lot nicer for you generally when diving. Once you start diving in nasty conditions and using big boy smb's then it's what you will have to do anyway.

I have one similar to this one: Scubamax 6 Foot Safety Sausage (SMB)

I don't think my inflator hose will allow for it to work.

BTW... I'm a wussy, warm water diver that would never wear a wetsuit, never mind a dry suit.

I have never heard from an instructor or a DM about my buoyancy being dodgey. And, I have asked.

@Snoweman it wasn't an insult aimed at you. I can't see from the image but it's possible you don't have an smb which you can use the lpi to inflate (although I've never seen them). If so - get an smb where you can literally just push in your lpi and up it goes. It's the simplest thing going - and it takes all the fuss out of it. It's also nice as it can't deflate on the surface.

Don't worry about being dragged up. They do not attach to the lpi like they do to your bcd.

Halcyon make them - but they are very very expensive. Although they are very good. I'm sure there will be a cheaper generic manufacture around your way. Someone on here can probably advise from the states.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom