Smb Options With Opv That Can Be Filled W/ Second Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outofofficebrb

HARRO HUNNAYYY
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

Looking to purchase my first SMB but would like one with an OPV that can also be filed using a second stage. The option to also orally inflate would also be nice. (and spool...any recs for that?) What are my options? I know DAN makes one...Any others and your recommendations/comments/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I have the DAN one. I'm not in love with the way it works to secure it in the rolled up position. But, I can't say I've actually ever had a problem with it. If I lost it, I would probably buy another one just because it's the only one I know of that says it has a radar reflective strip inside. There has been some debate on here about whether that radar strip would do ANY good at all. I don't know. I just figure it can't hurt and it MIGHT help.

I also do not love the way it's almost a year old with 50-ish dives on it and it still bleeds pink dye after a dive.

For a spool, I have a couple of these.

Blue Reef Finger Spool Reel

$10 regular price. But often on sale for $5 or 6.

For deeper dives, a reel might be appropriate. I have several reels, but this is what I always carry any more:

"Manta" CR1 & CR2 Cave Reels

The CR2 version which has a soft elastic strap for the handle. To me, it's more comfortable and easier to handle than a side handle reel with a metal handle or a "classic style" reel. And the soft handle also makes it easier to stick in a pocket, if you don't want to clip it off to something.

I own these in 3 different sizes. Great product at an even greater price. New! 6ft Orange SMB "High Viz"

Also, check out the AP Valves Pocket Reel. It's not cheap, but very well made. I've yet to use mine, but the reviews I've read and discussions I've had with others on here have all been pleased with it.

Also, check out the AP Valves Pocket Reel. It's not cheap, but very well made. I've yet to use mine, but the reviews I've read and discussions I've had with others on here have all been pleased with it.

I was just looking at that AP reel. I actually tried to order one, but apparently you can only get one in the U.S. from their U.S. importer (Silent diving). And they want $70 with the cheapest shipping being over $20. The price in the UK is only about USD$55, even with paying VAT.

That chapped me just enough to think twice. With the line length only being 130', I decided the AP reel would really only replace a finger spool for me. My finger spools cost $5 each and are stone simple and reliable. With that realization, I forced myself to ignore the "shiny" and not order one after all.

When I get in the water, my purpose for a reel like the AP would be for deploying an SMB from depth. In that case, I want the line to be somewhere near twice as long as the depth I'm at, to be sure the SMB will get to the surface even in a ripping current. I would not do a 100' wreck dive with only a 130' reel for my SMB. And I am having a hard time imagining myself diving to 70-ish feet or less and needing to deploy an SMB from the bottom. At least, not very often at all. So, it will continue to be my 250' reel for those dives. And a cheap finger spool for tropical drift dives.

Bummer, really. The AP reel looks really cool and easy to use. But, the cost compared to the cost of other options to do the same job is just too much (for me, obviously).

I agree. Like most things, there's not a one size fits all. They use a floaty line which seems a little thicker (spongy), yet lighter than cave line. So I think you could probably get a lot more line on the reel, but I have no idea how much. It's a pocket reel, so it's designed to be a small overall utility reel. I think for most rec. dives it could replace the need for both a small spool and a dedicated reel.

In one conversation with another member on here, he was very pleased with it. Deployed it from 90' without issue. He mentioned the line peels off very smooth eliminating the typical wiggle you get with other reels and winding it back in was a breeze. It's the perfect size for the average size hand. It fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. I just received mine and may dive Monday on a chartered dive (my birthday, no cleaning the boat. Lol), so I might see how well it works depending on how the dive goes.

I love these DSMBs. If I were going to design one, it would look and operate like these. They hold air with the one way flapper valve design, even when out of the water. You can oral inflate, power inflate or use your octo. Lots of options. I have a 4', 6' and 8'. They also changed them to stainless steel bolt snaps rather than plastic.

Last edited:
Well, after all my big talk, I emailed SilentDiving to say that I was interested in the reel but $20 shipping was just too steep. The President of the company emailed me back and made me a much nicer offer. I could not refuse "shiny" combined with exemplary customer service.

I received the reel today. It does look nice. It will replace all use of my finger spools, at least until such time as it gives me a problem.

I don't see keeping the wrist leash thing, though. I am thinking I will remove that and possibly replace it with a small adjustable bungee loop that I could use to either hang the reel around my wrist or put a double ender on to clip the reel off somewhere.

But, I will probably also put a double ender on the the actual loop of line and use that to hang the reel on a D-ring. That double ender could go there or on the bungee loop, but I *think* it makes more sense and will work better being clipped to the line itself. The locking mechanism will keep the reel from going anywhere.

Not sure I'll keep the O-ring that's on the end of the line, either. That just looks like a minor accident waiting to happen. I can't think of anything I'd ever attach to that O-ring instead of just attaching directly to the line itself.

@CuzzA, thanks for mentioning that reel!

No problem @stuartv. First thing I did was remove the lanyard and o ring. While it is the nicest lanyard I've ever come across lol, I think it could lead to a runaway ascent and it's just a snag hazard.

Instead I tied a bolt snap to where the lanyard was and looped a small closed end stainless steel suicide clip to the end of the line. I made the line long enough so I can hold the snap. Sort of like a handle. I clipped my 6 ft. SMB to it and haven't decided whether to stow it in a pocket or just clip it off. Given my diving I'm leaning toward stowing it.

For what it's worth I think it has all the utility of a reel and/or spool. Obviously for deep dives, very strong currents (drift diving with a float) or any kind of penetration I think a traditional reel with a handle would be the tool. But most SMB deployments and simple navigation it will work great.

I'll take a picture of how I rigged mine up and post in a minute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom