SMB fell off butt D-ring/lost (Breakwater)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saicho

Nudibranch aficionado
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My SMB+spool+bolt snap managed to sneak off my butt D-ring somewhere between 7 & 10 on the breakwater wall this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent this from happening again? I’d like to avoid using a front D-ring to stay uncluttered, but don’t want to keep sacrificing SMBs to Poseidon

Also if anyone stumbles across it please let me know - 6’ DAN orange SMB + orange line on black plastic spool. Thank you!!

Pocket. Either a bellows pocket for the dry suit, or there are multiple companies that make pocket shorts.

use 2 double Enders.......

Apparently the "knob" of the boltsnap interacted with your harness, or suit, or some other part of equipment and opened the gate. May be try to turn the boltsnap aroudn and clip it on the opposite way to what you did this time. One might think that the position with the gate looking "up", i.e. away from your body would be safer, but you should try. If you have more spools or reels on that D-ring, make sure that you attach your SMB to the D-ring, not to a boltsnap of some other spool.

Yea, pocket. The only time I've clipped it to a D-ring the spool let go and went to the bottom. At least line was connected to SMB, which was still clipped to D-ring. Just had to pull it all up from the bottom, which was about 50ft down.

Marie, there is a way to clip to the d-ring where that doesn't happen. All those pictures that you see of tec divers with the smb clipped to the rear d-ring indicate that it has been figured out. The videos I linked to show what goes wrong and how to correct it. There are other ways as well. I save my pockets for other things like a spare mask or my gopro.

Thanks all for the suggestions - much appreciated!

It was setup much like
with spool+SMB tied to a single bolt snap clipped to rear. I think the gate was clipped away from the body and nothing else on the ring, so tank or plate must have jabbed it just right. Would like to avoid cluttering pockets/adding any more, so the method in @RayfromTX's videos looks like the perfect solution - I'll experiment with wrapping the gate like that and keeping everything pre rigged. DSS's method of a bungee loop at the bottom of the plate also looks interesting
but not sure about that with spool attached or with a smaller/fatter DSMB instead of lift bag...

Back
Top Bottom