SMB Color Standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainPanda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, all, I'm planning a few dive trips for the next year or so to the Caribbean, and I'm curious to know if there are any collective 'standards' as far as SMB colors for the area? I was told in training that in some areas, for example, an orange SMB means 'no issues,' but a yellow SMB is a signal for emergencies or 'assistance needed.'

you are correct that within certain dive communities there can be specific uses for certain colours.

i personally have never been told at any location in the carribean that any of this applies for rec diving.

the only time i was cautioned about using my smb was in grand cayman when shore diving. i happened to mention to my dive buddy that day that i would like to practice shooting the buoy. the girl at the dive op there spoke up saying that it was a good thing she heard me because they would have assume we were in trouble had they seen the buoy on the surface without any divers along with it.

i have also been told that some colours are better seen in day vs night for example. i have always used one that was orange on one side, and yellow on the other.

There is no real standard but there are certainly regional differences and local dive boat preferences. It's best to ask the location or dive boat/operator what they prefer. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any unified standard in the Caribbean.

In the UK (I can't really speak for all of UK so there could be other variances) I was always told yellow meant problem / assistance needed while orange is essentially I am fine or I f*cked up but lost mooring/shot line but I am ok. Someone would be getting in the water or providing a drop tank for a yellow bag if that was briefed/agreed to.

The boat I worked on in New England adopted this (as well as some other boats) but it's really not universal here. For deep dives I personally carry two SMBs (a yellow and orange) and I explain to the boat captain/crew what they mean for me or ask them what they prefer.

In Pompano Beach, Florida and other areas South Florida areas putting two SMBs/bags on one line meant trouble / assistance needed.

TL;DR - There is no real standard but I would defer to your local operator/dive boat and see if they have preference.

The UK general standard is the Orange DSMB for normal ascents.
For most UK dives, the Orange DSMB will be deployed. Relatively few sites will involve divers ascending the shot line. Tide generally makes shot line ascents uncomfortable unless you are using a Jon line. The preference is always to drift with the tide.

The distress DSMB is the yellow one. However, this needs to be pre- agreed with the boat. If you want a drop bottle it will be your responsibility to bring your own and rig one ready for deployment.
Just a few weeks ago on a trip, the skipper asked what action the boat should take if a Yellow DSMB was deployed. Because our decompression commitment was going to be minor, 30 minutes or less, we didn't plan for a drop bottle. So in the event of a yellow DSMB, we just wanted the the O2 kit made ready.

Ultimately, you need to ensure everyone knows what the procedures are in advance and the equipment is set up ready for use. This needs to be agreed with the skipper and crew.

Within our club we avoid dual colour DSMB's (yellow/orange).

From the point of what stands out. As I understand it, orange is easier to see it you are on a boat. Yellow is easier to see if looking down from a helicopter. That was as a result of some tests done by the RNLI and Air Sea Rescue Services.

The UK general standard is the Orange DSMB for normal ascents.
For most UK dives, the Orange DSMB will be deployed. Relatively few sites will involve divers ascending the shot line. Tide generally makes shot line ascents uncomfortable unless you are using a Jon line. The preference is always to drift with the tide.

The distress DSMB is the yellow one. However, this needs to be pre- agreed with the boat. If you want a drop bottle it will be your responsibility to bring your own and rig one ready for deployment.
Just a few weeks ago on a trip, the skipper asked what action the boat should take if a Yellow DSMB was deployed. Because our decompression commitment was going to be minor, 30 minutes or less, we didn't plan for a drop bottle. So in the event of a yellow DSMB, we just wanted the the O2 kit made ready.

Ultimately, you need to ensure everyone knows what the procedures are in advance and the equipment is set up ready for use. This needs to be agreed with the skipper and crew.

Within our club we avoid dual colour DSMB's (yellow/orange).

From the point of what stands out. As I understand it, orange is easier to see it you are on a boat. Yellow is easier to see if looking down from a helicopter. That was as a result of some tests done by the RNLI and Air Sea Rescue Services.

So if you avoid dual colors. Do you carry two DSMB's?

So if you avoid dual colors. Do you carry two DSMB's?

Yes I always do.

Because it's a club, and some divers are not doing quite so adventurous diving, they may only have an Orange DSMB.
However, as a policy, to ensure there is no confusion. We have a standing rule, no dual colour DSMB's. As a side point, they are often harder to see than single colour DSMB's.

Back
Top Bottom