SmartPro, JTrak, and Macintosh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Tours N Iraq`

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Macintosh laptop computer and a Uwatec SmartPro wrist computer. The problem lies in the fact that Macs don't have a built in IR reader so one must purchase an IR reader from a 3rd party. The particular IR reader I purchased ended up not being Mac compatible and therefore useless to me. I did, however, find a creative way to get my dive info off of my computer and into my Mac. Here's how.

1. I also happen to own a PDA with a built in IR reader and installed TravelTrak CE on it so I could download my dive data from my SmartPro to the PDA.

2. After saving the dive data on the removable storage card (SD card) I removed the SD card from the PDA and put it in my Nikon digital camera then hooked the camera up to the computer. Due to firewall problems with my Mac & PDA I was unable to hook the PDA directly up to my Mac. Other Mac users might not have this problem and can then skip to step 3.

3. I then transfered the data from the SD card (via digital camera) to my desktop and opened the file with JTrak (that was previously installed on my Mac). I then added more data to my eLogbook in JTrak that the computer was not able to gather (such as buddy info, conditions, etc).

I know this seems like more trouble than what it is worth and it did drive me nuts trying to get the SmartPro to talk directly to the Mac. Since I couldn't get that to happen I wanted to share how I was able to transfer the data with other divers who might have experienced the same issues I faced.

just wondering but what kind of mac laptop do you have?

An iBook with a G4 processor and 40 gig hard drive that I purchased in 2004.

I can confirm that the Belkin Smartbeam Model F5U230fg works with the Scubapro-Uwatec Smart Z with Mac OS X 10.5.7 and JTrak dive freeware. It was not necessary to install any drivers or to restart the Mac.

Mac OS X System Profiler provides the following information about the IrDA unit:

IRExpress USB IrDA Controller:

Product ID: 0x0180
Vendor ID: 0x050f
Version: 1.10
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: KC Technology, Inc.
Location ID: 0x1a200000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

I was not able to find the unit in the U. S., but was able to order it from Amazon.co.uk for 21.94 GBP ($36.93 USD).

I have a MacBook Air (which I took to the GBR a couple of weeks ago) and a Uwatec Smart Com. I also have a kick-ass Asus computer I built and for laughs, loaded Vista. Then I bought the following from a FleaBay auction site. It works with both Vista (after installing the drivers) and on my Mac (OS 10.5.X) with no drivers needed.

NEW USB 2.0 IRDA-4220 (16Mbps) (SUPPORT VISTA)FREE S&H

I paid $30 and got free shipping. They're going for $29.09 now. I got ripped off :D

BTW - Uwatec took JTrak off their web site. You have to email them and they'll send it to you via email. They said they didn't have a lot of call for it. That seems weird - why would they take it down? It works fine for me.

I'm a computer tech and I prefer Macs. If you need more help, let me know, but at these prices, it may be time to get an Intel Mac. Wait a few weeks for the hoopla to die down after the WWDC announcements then buy a used one. You'll get an amazing computer for cheap.

And don't let anyone tell you different: Macintosh is the superior operating system. No one can argue with you until Microsoft gets rid of the registry. It's a clusterf---

I just bought a MacBook Pro, which has the Intel processor and OS X 10.5.7.
I found and downloaded Jtrak version 1.1.19
I have an Uwatec Smart Com dive computer.
Does anyone know what USB IrDA device will work with my intel Mac?

Thanks!

I just bought a MacBook Pro, which has the Intel processor and OS X 10.5.7.
I found and downloaded Jtrak version 1.1.19
I have an Uwatec Smart Com dive computer.
Does anyone know what USB IrDA device will work with my intel Mac?

Thanks!

See my post right before yours.

Any USB IrDA device that works with Vista will PROBABLY work for you.

The one I bought (above) works fine.

I bought it from this seller on FleaBay: chunwai_1996

Search by seller. He has two listed. I bought the 16Mb one. It works fine. Didn't take to long to get to me - and he's in Hong Kong.

Let me know if you need more help.

m

I just got to play with a Galileo Sol and my IrDA device (see my previous post) hooked up to my MacBook Air today. JTrak 1.1 and Leopard 10.5.7.

IT WORKS!!! The only problem I had was the opposite problem with my Smart Com - the IrDA transmitter wanted to be moved further away from the Galileo Sol (about 2") where the Smart Com wanted the IrDA tip almost touching the interface window.

So if you guys want to interface any Uwatec to either Mac or PC, get a fast IrDA interface compatible with Vista and it should work. Or just order the one I mention above.

The only issue now is that when using the PC, the busy light on the IrDA device flashes and when hooked to the Mac, it doesn't flash at all - not even at startup or plug-in.

Good luck. Ask questions if you need to.

m

Well I bought the USB-IRDA-4220 from chunwai_1996

I plugged it into my MacBook Pro, fired up the jTrac software, turned on my Smartcom, and all I can get is a message that says "waiting for connection."

I have tried multiple times with the IRDA device in different positions, including almost touching the IR window on the Smartcom. No joy.

What should I try next? Is there any way I can test the IRDA device and make sure it works?

Any help would be most appreciated. I really don't want to install Windows on my Mac.

UPDATE: I e-mailed chunwai_1996 about my problems with the USB-IRDA-4220 that I bought. He sent me another one, which just arrived today, and it works fine. Works on both Mac (Jtrak) and PC (SmartTrack).

So I can say that this particular adapter will work on an intel Mac with Jtrak software.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom